Dell sued over bait & switch advertising

Discussion in 'Intel' started by YKhan, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. YKhan

    YKhan Guest

    YKhan, Feb 24, 2005

  2. YKhan

    Robert Myers Guest

    Robert Myers, Feb 25, 2005

  3. YKhan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    But can he turn an 8 by 12 jailcell into an ergonomic and aesthetic
    tour-de-force? :)

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Feb 25, 2005
  4. YKhan

    Gnu_Raiz Guest

    OK let me get this straight, out is good, in is bad!

    Last I heard Martha hired a personal chef to cook for her when she gets
    out, how would you like that job! Now thats a good thing! rofl.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/stewart lines up top chef

    What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!

    I was surprised that this did not happen sooner, I also wonder how long
    the product life for parts is at Dell. I mean can you still get parts for
    certain models over three years old. I bet a lot of businesses are having
    problems, regret their purchase.

    When I am near my local University, I sometimes walk through their
    computer centers, and I see lots of systems down for repairs, most are
    Dells. I bet they do not like the techs/students lab assistants, to dig
    into their machines,due to contract issues, other such stuff. Does Dell
    still use their own funky, power supply that only work with their
    hardware. I know at one time people were trying to take motherboards out
    of Dells use them in their own system, but could not due to power supply
    wiring issues.

    Gnu_Raiz

    Gnu_Raiz, Feb 25, 2005
  5. YKhan

    Tony Hill Guest

    The problem is that the only real alternative for large business is
    HPaq, and it's not like that's an improvement! I'm actually surprised
    that it's JUST Dell that they're going after, since HP and Dell are
    kinda reminiscent of the US government system of two parties that are
    really just the same thing :>
    Funky power supplies are pretty much the norm for big OEMs, the trick
    with Dells is that they were physically identical to standard ATX
    supplies but where electrically different. Made it just too tempting
    for people to try swapping out the board or power supply with a
    standard one that just wouldn't work. With HPaq supplies, for
    example, they are still non-standard, but at least you KNOW that they
    are non-standard since they won't fit into an ATX connector without
    the use of a decently large hammer.

    Tony Hill, Feb 25, 2005
  6. YKhan

    Trinity Guest

    Some stores sell adapters that get around that issue.

    Trinity, Feb 25, 2005
  7. So the HPaq connector has different keying for the connector? Is this
    something that HP learned from Compaq? I remember the old proprietary
    keyboard conectors that Compaq used to have - what a rip-off. All the same
    I'd have thought both Dell and HPaq would have the same wires with the same
    power and ground connections... just in a different order. In that case a
    Molex pin extractor, and a used standard connector for the case of HPaq,
    would be all you'd need to rearrange things to the standard order.

    George Macdonald, Feb 25, 2005
  8. There are criminal trials (such as the one Martha lost), and there are
    civil suits (such as the one against Dell the company, not Mike the
    chairman). Nobody goes to jail for losing a civil suit. Especially
    if the losing party is a company. ;-)

    Felger Carbon, Feb 25, 2005
  9. The Apple computer company is being sued in civil court (in the UK?)
    for selling used parts and computers as new parts and computers. It
    would appear the problem is endemic in the computer industry. If the
    box has been opened, is the part/computer used??

    Felger Carbon, Feb 25, 2005
  10. YKhan

    Alan Walpool Guest

    YKhan> Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
    YKhan> http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop

    YKhan> Yousuf Khan

    It was about time. My friend's son worked for dell in sales, and to
    say the least dell has some very interesting sales techniques. I'm
    sure other companies use them, but dell is very good at sales.

    It still amazes me though that some folks believe everything sales
    agent says ;-)). When they find out that have been taken for a ride,
    they sue like hell ;-)).

    I guess the next suite will be intel for hot chips!

    Whatever.

    Alan Walpool, Feb 25, 2005
  11. YKhan

    Robert Myers Guest

    I hope you aren't so precise when someone tells a joke at a party,
    Felger.

    In any case, I'm beginning to wonder if you and that outlaw Michael
    Dell don't belong to the same club. ;-).

    RM

    Robert Myers, Feb 26, 2005
  12. YKhan

    keith Guest

    There is usually a sticker on the system or disclaimer somewhere in the
    documentation something on the order of "all components in this ______ are
    new or equialent to new" to get around this "problem". I've seen these
    "warnings" in automobiles, even. This isn't something strange amH,vil.
    ....well perhaps a little bad. ;-)

    keith, Feb 26, 2005
  13. YKhan

    keith Guest

    Nah, Felger isn't Mike's type. Martha on the other hand...

    keith, Feb 26, 2005
  14. YKhan

    Bob Niland Guest

    Actually, "In Like Flint" was a movie title, and
    was a play on words from the real cliche, which was
    "In like Flynn", referring to actor Eroll Flynn,
    who had a bit of a reputation with the ladies, and
    later managed to avoid successful prosecution for
    events involving an underaged lass and his yatch.

    Apparently the expression meant "sure to get lucky"
    prior to the prosecution, and morphed to "and you'll
    get away with it, even if illegal" afterwards.
    Any number of web sites have more detail.

    None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
    is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.

    Bob Niland, Feb 26, 2005
  15. YKhan

    Tony Hill Guest

    Proprietary keyboard connector?! The only place I've ever seen one of
    those was a Packard Hell, where it has a special keyboard + mouse +
    speaker/mic connector all in one. All the Compaq and HP machines I've
    come across use plain old PS/2 (or sometimes USB) keyboards and mice.
    Mind you, I pretty much only deal with their commercial line, so I
    don't know what the deal is with the Presario systems.
    Of the HPaq commercial machines that I see (which is a direct
    descendant of the old Compaq Deskpro/Evo line), they use all pretty
    standard connectors except for the power connector. These are
    definitely non-standard. Actually the new ones use one non-standard
    connector for the main power but use the standard 4-pin secondary
    ATX12V connector (or at least I think it's standard, though I haven't
    checked the pin-out). It's not really such a big deal for these
    systems though since they're mostly small form factor systems where
    any other power supply just wouldn't physically fit in the case. In
    the case of the few minitowers we've got, they normally use the exact
    same motherboard as their corresponding SFF system, so they're kind of
    stuck with the non-standard power connector.

    A slightly more annoying problem with these machines is that a
    standard floppy drive usually will not work. Fortunately floppies are
    rarely used these days, but when they are needed, it's a bit of a PITA
    to have to get a specific HPaq (or Dell) part at the rather exorbitant
    prices they charge (~$40 US as I recall?)

    Tony Hill, Feb 26, 2005
  16. YKhan

    Hank Oredson Guest

    What brand would you endorse?

    Serious question, about to upgrade and will either
    build my own, or buy a Dell or PowerSpec.

    Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems).
    Dells have been problem-free.

    --

    ... Hank

    http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
    http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

    Hank Oredson, Feb 27, 2005
  17. YKhan

    Alan Walpool Guest

    Hank> What brand would you endorse?

    Hank> Serious question, about to upgrade and will either build my
    Hank> own, or buy a Dell or PowerSpec.

    Hank> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems). Dells
    Hank> have been problem-free.

    I recently purchased a dell and was very happy. If you know how to
    deal with sales people dell will be fine. I actually ordered from the
    net and purchased an excellent server that was loaded for 424 bucks
    with tax. Unreal deal.

    Good luck

    Alan Walpool, Feb 27, 2005
  18. YKhan

    keith Guest

    If you're up to it (it's not hard), build your own. No question!
    So you've never had to replace parts or get service?

    keith, Feb 27, 2005
  19. YKhan

    Bob Niland Guest

    None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
    It entirely depends on your intended uses. For
    my own work (2D-intensive), I build my own. For
    neighbors with generic requirements, the MicroTels
    that Wal-Mart sells (web only), are perfectly
    adequate inexpensive platforms, and are supportable,
    as they have both Windows and Linux drivers.
    The question is - when you have a problem, just
    how big a problem do you have? One of the things
    that has put me off Dell is their periodic forays
    into needless proprietary stuff, including motherboard
    power connectors.

    Bob Niland, Feb 27, 2005
  20. YKhan

    Alan Walpool Guest

    Bob> It entirely depends on your intended uses. For my own work
    Bob> (2D-intensive), I build my own. For neighbors with generic
    Bob> requirements, the MicroTels that Wal-Mart sells (web only), are
    Bob> perfectly adequate inexpensive platforms, and are supportable,
    Bob> as they have both Windows and Linux drivers.

    Bob> The question is - when you have a problem, just how big a
    Bob> problem do you have? One of the things that has put me off Dell
    Bob> is their periodic forays into needless proprietary stuff,
    Bob> including motherboard power connectors.

    I did not mention that in my last post, but you have an excellent
    point. When you purchase a Dell, HP, or some other system you better
    be ready to throw it away when it breaks. I purchased a dell during an
    excellent special, and will use for a special purchase. However, I do
    realize if it breaks after warranty I will probably have to throw it
    away. The dell I purchased definitely had some no standard parts.

    For desktop computer I build my own, which is pretty easy, and get to
    select your parts. Probably costs a little more, but if it breaks you
    can fix it easily.

    Later,

    Alan

    Alan Walpool, Feb 27, 2005