    information I got from different forums. My Daughter is thinking of getting
    a Dell PC, but I'm not so sure it is a good idea because of this the lack of
    support. Charles Ranheim

    cranheim, Nov 21, 2003

  2. cranheim

    diddy Guest

    I think your daughter is right.
    TECH support is in Bombay India.
    They don't speak english (but they THINK they do)
    They don't communicate anyway.

    This is what you do when you outsource to cheap help.

    diddy, Nov 21, 2003

  3. cranheim

    Irene Guest

    Unless, you are a business and purchase from that department, what you
    experienced, I am sorry to say, is probably an excellent example of the
    kind of technical support that you daughter is likely to receive.

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  4. cranheim

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I've learned the hard way, never go against your gut feelings. What you
    experienced was a day on the beach compared to a lot of the Dell horror
    stories being posted.

    Of course, they must all be made up by people who are just plain stupid and
    shouldn't own a computer anyways. Or they didn't do their homework and know
    that the fine print of Dell's Terms and Conditions of Sale says that you
    basically forego any and all claims against them while they can do whatever
    they want while over charging you for it and abusing you in the process.

    Yeah... You might want to check out other computer sources.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  5. cranheim

    Timmy Guest

    Yep, it's absolutely terrible. I had good luck with Gateway and bought a
    Dell laptop and the support given is awful. If I'm on hold an hour, that's
    usually a good thing. Besides the bad advice given and the transfers and
    dropped calls. I wish I had stuck with Gateways.

    Timmy, Nov 21, 2003
  6. cranheim

    BigJIm Guest

    same here, 45 minutes for a minor network problem, then I got dropped.
    I wish dell would look up the word 'support' in the dictionary to find out
    the meaning.
    Never again.........................

    BigJIm, Nov 21, 2003
  7. cranheim

    gorf Guest

    As companies try to streamline in an effort to appease investors, quality of
    their services/products declines. Outsourcing is one way to reduce costs...
    yet it also diminishes the quality of service. Are the workers in Asia
    technically competent? Likely. Are those same people able to resolve the
    problems of people from a culture on the other side of the planet? No.
    Outsourcing is a great short-term solution. The savings are immediately
    apparent and their is no immediate impact on services. However what Dell
    and other companies will discover is that their customers, whether it be an
    underpaid tech worker in a company or a student in college, will soon begin
    to search for alternatives because the product/service is poor and/or
    because outsourcing costs Americans (and other citizens where the cost of
    living is greater than India/China where they can work cheaper) their jobs.

    gorf, Nov 21, 2003
  8. i consider this group as part of the support that you will find for dell
    computers. as you know, you recently posted here and got a quick resolution
    to your problem. there are many bright, articitulate, contributors in this
    group that have been around for years. no other pc support group compares.
    dell also offers their own hosted forum, delltalk. even if dell's telephone
    tech support may disappoint, you have to consider this: it may not be great,
    but it is the best that there is. support from the other majors are about
    the same or worse. no other major have a forum that compare to this group.
    don't be swayed by the few (two?) naysayers that seem to have nothing better
    to do with their time other than recant the same complaints over and over
    again... having said that, if your daughter is college bound, then the
    right thing for you to do is contact the college she will be attending. mot
    colleges form and alliance with one vendor and that vendor maintains an
    on-site repair facility for same day repairs (paramount for a student).
    students today use their laptops the way we used to use pens and paper...
    they can't afford to have a broken laptop. also, colleges will require
    windows xp pro (not home).
    good luck.

    ps. the repeated suggestions posted by one person to 'go local' (and is that
    person here when she is satisfied by the support of her local vendor??
    hmmm...) is not an option for laptops.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 21, 2003
  9. cranheim

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Two? Now we know you can't read OR COUNT!

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  10. cranheim

    BWL Guest

    As far as I can tell, bad experiences FAR outnumber the good ones (since a
    year or two ago), here or anywhere else.

    ....but as someone who would never dare commit heresy against against the
    great Dell God, I'm sure that fact will be lost on you.

    BWL, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Listen carefully..................can you hear the sound of Tom Scales'
    teeth gnashing?

    Diogenes The Tramp, Nov 21, 2003
  12. You mean posts like "Hi I just stopped by to say everything is fine with my
    computer." You're right you don't see many of those.

    (BTW Hi everything is fine with my computer)

    HillBillyBuddhist, Nov 21, 2003
  13. cranheim

    diddy Guest

    Then again there are those who have their computers taken by Dell when sent
    back for a fan replacement, and had it resold to someone else.
    Then they won't address your problem.

    to me, that's theft!
    And then someone called me a twit, because I complained!

    diddy, Nov 21, 2003
  14. cranheim

    MToo.NET Guest

    MToo.NET, Nov 21, 2003
  15. cranheim

    Irene Guest

    Or capitalize, or form paragraphs. >g<

    Irene, Nov 22, 2003
  16. cranheim

    Irene Guest

    Please define "cheapest computers".

    We spent just over 8000 dollars on the three Dell Dimension computers that
    we now get out sourced, out of the country, garbage support for, instead of
    what we paid for and were promised.

    Irene, Nov 22, 2003
  17. cranheim

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    no all dell owners know what a NG or forum is...
    they rely on 1-800-help-me! (rhetorical).

    kinda like telling someone to do a web search if their pc can't connect to
    the internet.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 22, 2003
  18. cranheim

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    hello everyone, i'm a network engineer and my pc runs great after a nice
    clean reformat and os upgrade.
    i voided my warranty by overclocking and adding a liquid cooling system into
    my case.
    dell pc's work well with no problems.

    i also own an HP pavilion with a similar setup up (but uses an AMD). both
    pc's run very well with no problems.
    but overall, i favour my mac. it looks very sexy.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 22, 2003
  19. cranheim

    cranheim Guest

    After reading about the many others that also found a change in Dell
    Support, at least I know I am not alone with this problem. I have found it
    is better to go to a forum to see if anyone has had a similar problem first.
    I found the Dell Forum on their web site to be very helpful at least three
    times, when I got nowhere with telephone support. By the way, I tried to
    find out if Dell still offers lifetime telephone support on some of their
    products as they used to do. I could never get any kind documented answer,
    which I interpret as a "NO". This was a big selling point when I bought my
    Dell. The telephone support was also very good. I hope someone in management
    takes the time to re-visit this outsourcing of the telephone support to see
    how it will affect sales in the future. Dell makes a good product, but the
    tech support still plays a key roll in the mix. Charles Ranheim

    cranheim, Nov 22, 2003
  20. cranheim

    Steve Larson Guest

    Um, I think that may be Bangalore in India...check out November issue of
    Fortune mag

    Steve Larson, Nov 26, 2003