    work?

    thanks.

    Paul E

    Boostm3, Nov 10, 2005

  2. You have "older 15 pin D-sub type analog connector."
    It has "Connector Type: 15-pin D-subminiature"

    Same thing. Connect them.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Boostm3

    Notan Guest

    And, for what it's worth, the blue-connector cable is for analog,
    while the white one's for digital.

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Boostm3

    Boostm3 Guest

    Thanks Folks.. When it says teh monitor has: Port(s) Total ( Free ) /
    Connector Type: 15-pin D-subminiature (blue) / DVI-D (white) / 4 x USB 2.0

    Does this mean it has both analog AND digital port? My pc only has a 15
    pin type VGA port.. Doesnt this mean I need a new video card to get the most
    out of the lcd monitor? Or does the monitor spec mean it has BOTH a 15 pin
    Analog AND a 24 pin Digital connector, to work on eitehr port type? If so,
    what would I lose out on, by connecting it to my vga port? Thanks for
    clarifying.

    Paul E

    Boostm3, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Boostm3

    Tom Scales Guest

    It has both. It will work fine with your existing card. It would look
    better with a card that supports DVI, but to my eyes, the differences are
    quite small.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Boostm3

    Boostm3 Guest

    Ah, excellent.. I was wondering if Id be giving up any 'crispness' by using
    my 15 pin analog VGA connector, instead of the newer DVI-D port. Apparently
    its almost the same, so I could get the 19" lcd monitor now, use it with my
    4 yr old pc, and then keep it for use when I get a newer pc that has the DVI
    connector. Thanks again.

    Paul E

    Boostm3, Nov 10, 2005
  7. I have two of them side-by-side, one connected via analog and the
    other by digital. The difference is inconsequential on text and noted
    only on hi-rez graphics with great concentration. The only fault I
    see is an occasional blurp with scrolling and it is equal on the two
    inputs. Very nice monitor especially with the current pricing.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Yes, plus 4 USB 2.0 ports (providing you connect the 1905FP to an
    existing USB 2.0 port).

    As someone else posted, blue cable = analog (VGA) connector.

    The white is for digital (DVI).

    Sparky Spartacus, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Boostm3

    Bob Johnson Guest

    I have two of them side-by-side, one connected via analog and the
    Good info, thanks !

    I'm using the 1905fp in potrait mode (connected DVI), along with an
    older Sharp 19" in landscape (anolog), which works well, but I really
    want/need to get another 1905FP to get colors to match better on two
    monitors.
    Wish I could find a better current price. Paid $300 for my 1905FP and
    recall them gettting as low as $260ish. Best deal at the moment
    appears to be about $360.

    Best Regards, Bob Johnson

    Directories

    Bob Johnson, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Boostm3

    Boostm3 Guest

    Continuing with this monitor, to be connected via my only 15 pin VGA
    connector (analog), what about ClearType technology? In alot of reviews, Im
    reading where people are getting improvements in their displays by enableing
    this Microsoft technology..

    BUT, Ive read that its only appliable to the DVI connection, PLUS, its only
    found in Windows XP.. My PC being bought in 2001, has Windows ME on it.. I
    think this means ClearType is not available to me.. How big a detriment will
    this be when I get my LCD display? IS it a potential Deal killer for me?

    Paul E

    Boostm3, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Boostm3

    Boostm3 Guest

    Let me follow up... Even though with ME, I dont have Clear Type, I do have
    the ability to select either 'Smooth edges of screen fonts', under Display
    Properties/Effects, or not. In wordpad, in 12 pt font, I see no
    difference.. But if I go italic, and select 36 pt font, I DO see a
    difference. Will ClearType provide this type
    of improvement? And, why wont the setting I DO have, above, suffice?

    Am I wrong in assuming that , since my current font smoothing technology
    seems to make a difference only on very large fonts, and, since it Does work
    in those situations, what is it that Clear Type would have gotten me, if I
    had it available, above and beyond what my current font smoothing technology
    does?

    Paul E

    Boostm3, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Boostm3

    Dave Guest

    Short answer: NO, not a deal killer.

    Longer answer:
    I'm probably in the minority. But I didn't like my 1905FP. And
    even though I got it for $300, I returned it. Didn't like the look
    of fonts (with or without ClearType), didn't like the blur in DVD
    playback, didn't like the strange color artifacting in DVD playback,
    didn't like the huge brightness (even turned down to min).
    What I did like: the small footprint, the huge amount of text you
    see, the price, the way it looked ... OFF! Too bad I didn't like
    the way it looked ON.

    I tried it with both digital and analog. Little difference. BTW,
    if it matters, I'm using a ~3 yr old Nvidia G4 Ti 4200 vid card.

    Anyway, ClearType made the fonts look a bit better in some ways
    (more full, less pixely/wirey), worse in others (a bit fuzzy).

    Epilogue: I again have an LCD since my CRT was messed up. But
    that's only because someone gave it to me (and I'm grateful). But
    frankly, I still prefer the look of CRT's.

    YMMV, so I suggest you try it out and see how it does for you. Some
    people love 'em. Obviously at least one does not ;-)

    Dave, Nov 11, 2005
  13. Boostm3

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Update: Just noticed tem on dell for 399 - 20% = $319.20
    Better, but still wish I had gotten another when they were $268

    Best Regards, Bob Johnson

    Directories

    Bob Johnson, Nov 12, 2005
  14. Boostm3

    MI Guest

    Just download Clear Type and try it! You can always revert back to previous
    settings.

    MI, Nov 12, 2005
  15. Boostm3

    Boostm3 Guest

    Does this monitor come with both DVI and VGA type cables?

    Paul

    Boostm3, Nov 12, 2005
  16. Boostm3

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Yes, it did when I bought it back in May.

    Best Regards, Bob Johnson

    Directories

    Bob Johnson, Nov 12, 2005
  17. Boostm3

    MI Guest

    Excuse me, how are able to post to this newsgroup, smoke signals? If you
    have internet access why don't you check the specs at Dell?

    MI, Nov 13, 2005
  18. Boostm3

    Joan Hansen Guest

    If you took the time to check it out, you would see that it does not
    really indicate whether cables come with the monitor. I just purchased
    the monitor and only assume since I purchased the 173 FP analog and the
    2000 FP with the analog/DVI for which I did receive the proper cables
    with both monitors, I'll assume they both come with this monitor which
    is a very good price. The gentlemen is new to this and sometimes asking
    others helps you make sure you feel confortable in ordering.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Nov 13, 2005
  19. Boostm3

    WSZsr Guest