    I happen to see this has been reduced in price at the Microsoft store.
    Just wondering if anyone has played with one...
    - Dell Venue 8" Pro - Win8.1

    ps56k, Feb 2, 2014

  2. ps56k

    Paul Guest

    It's got an Atom processor.

    Processor Intel Atom processor Z3740D
    (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core) <--- could be a Turbo clock involved
    with 32GB file storage $299.00 <--- not a lot of file storage
    8.0 inch IPS Display with HD (WXGA 1280 x 800) <--- IPS = good
    resolution, with 10-pt capacitive touch.

    *******

    This is the Atom processor.

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3740D.html

    Core Frequency 1333 MHz (if using all four cores)
    Turbo frequency 1833 MHz (if using just one core, light usage)

    The Passmark benchmark of the processor is here. You can
    look up your current processor here, and compare it.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

    Intel Atom Z3740D @ 1.33GHz 1119 Passmarks

    I guess it'll be sorta OK, as it's more powerful
    than the first generation Atom. When Intel first
    introduced Atom, it put them in Netbooks. Then,
    it prevented the netbook manufacturers, from using
    the dual core one. Virtually all the netbooks ended up
    with single core processors. The one in this case
    is a quad core, and the benchmarks do seem better
    than the earlier Atoms processors.

    This is the kind of product, I would recommend testing
    it in person yourself. Just to see if it responds
    fast enough. See if one of these stores is nearby.

    http://content.microsoftstore.com/en-us/home.aspx

    The reason I provided that link, is there are some
    articles around, that say Dell Venue sells at the
    MicrosoftStore (brick and mortar store). Phone
    and check if a demonstrator is available.

    http://www.informationweek.com/mobi...lls-venue-8-pro-tablet-for-$99/d/d-id/1112957

    *******

    The hardware that drives the graphics, is inside the
    processor too. It has four execution units (4 EU).
    One of the weakest Intel offerings. You won't be
    playing Crysis :)

    The best Intel graphics, have 40 EU. Like an HD Graphics 5000.
    And any $50 video card, probably works better than any
    of them. Just to give you some idea how weak the graphics are
    for game play. Drawing the desktop will work just fine.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

    The computer is largely a "single chip" design. The
    processor is a "system on a chip", is soldered to
    the PCB and cannot be upgraded later. If you opened it
    up, you would see multiple chips, but all the helper
    chips are "relatively dumb". Conventional laptops, there
    can be three or four complex chips, versus just the one
    on this design. That's how the price can be $299 and
    they still make money. The processor in this case,
    only costs $32. The copy of Windows on the computer,
    probably costs more than that :)

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 2, 2014

  3. ps56k

    BillW50 Guest

    You might want to read Amazon comments on this one. And you get Windows
    8.1 (not the Pro version). If you need Windows 8.1 Pro, that will cost
    you $99 more. And most people will find the 32GB SSD to be too small.

    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-Pro-Tablet-Windows/product-reviews/B00FEE7B1I

    BillW50, Feb 2, 2014
  4. ps56k

    mobilelawyer Guest

    I have the 64GB version, and I am quite pleased with it. Don't get for
    the stylus, though, if that is a major motivation for you. I sent my
    stylus back, and there are massive complaints of defective ones. It
    sometimes gets ticklish to work on the desktop with a screen this
    small, but it is not a problem I run into often.

    The tablet is sturdily built, and I use an external keyboard with mine
    for word processing. Not a laptop replacement, but works in a pinch on
    the road.

    mobilelawyer, Feb 2, 2014
  5. ps56k

    BillW50 Guest

    That is strange to hear about the stylus problems with this tablet.
    Maybe you should have kept it anyway since it sounds like nobody can
    find one in the US anymore. And I used many Windows tablets and stylus
    problems are like unheard of. Anyway without a stylus, you might be
    interested in a program like this:

    TouchMousePointer
    http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/

    I have two of these Dell Latitude ST and they originally came with
    Windows 7 Pro. Although this one I upgraded to Windows 8. But the one
    with Windows 7 still on it actually has a TouchMousePointer like feature
    in the N-trig configuration. Although under Windows 8, that feature
    disappeared as well as some other features like turning off either touch
    or stylus. Turning off touch and using the stylus only is nice to use
    the pen and to rest your hand on the screen like you do with a pen and
    paper.

    BillW50, Feb 2, 2014