    mattsdaddy Guest

    Can someone post a MBR from a Vista machine with the dell software
    preloaded on the hard drive? Thanks!

    mattsdaddy, Sep 8, 2007

  2. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    What exactly are you trying to do? The MBR would likely vary by
    machine.

    Tom Scales, Sep 8, 2007

  3. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    I need to restore the boot code only, not the partition table or the
    disk ID. My MBR got rewritten by another program, and I need to repair
    defective sectors.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  4. mattsdaddy

    Gummy Mummy Guest

    You might try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    Gummy Mummy, Sep 9, 2007
  5. mattsdaddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Put your Windows Vista CD in, boot up the repair console, and I think that the
    right command is FIXMBR. Same as XP.

    You could also put in a Windows 98 or Windows ME, and do the following from the
    DOS command prompt:

    FDISK /MBR

    As for the defective sectors, you would do best to attempt repair with the drive
    manufacturer's diagnostic software, a free download (except Toshiba which has NO
    diagnostic software available to us peons)... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2007
  6. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    As you already know, the Dell boot code is different from what you will get
    with fixmbr. Dan Goodell's mbrsaver can backup and restore Dell boot code
    and ignore the DiskID and Partition table but I don't know if it works with
    Vista.

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixmbr.htm

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  7. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    I have that program, but you need a MBR to do it from another Dell
    machine wist Vista on it, XP boot MBR is different than Vista.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  8. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    The machine has Vista on the hard drive, not on seperate disks. I have
    repaired most of the sectors using third party software. I have not
    tired to do Wn98 with Fdisk /MBR. Won't that erase the entire drive?

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  9. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Microsfot MBR is different than Dell. If I put the hard drive into a
    desktop as a non-boot disc, could I run fixmbr from Dell on that drive
    only?

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  10. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    Yes. If I had Vista I'd send you the Dell MBR.

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  11. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    fdisk /mbr will wipe your Dell MBR and give you a Standard MBR. It only
    writes boot code and zeroes the DiskID. No other sectors are changed.

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  12. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    You should have the Dell Vista disks. As far as I know, Dell hasn't
    shipped any machines without the Vista DVD.

    Tom Scales, Sep 9, 2007
  13. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    The Dell MBR isn't in the Dell Vista discs. Tom, when you boot Windows, do
    you see a blue bar at the top of the screen with Dell text. This is an
    indication that you have a Dell MBR.

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  14. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, I do believe you're right, as when I do a clean install I lose the
    restore partition.

    Tom Scales, Sep 9, 2007
  15. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Thank you for trying!

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  16. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Thanks, I was not aware of this option on Fdisk. Probalby because I
    never needed it before.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  17. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    You have to pay for the discs most of the time. But I will double
    check.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  18. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    It does right now, but the MBR is from an XP machine. Before I had no
    bar.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  19. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    That is what I am trying to avoid.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  20. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Not for almost a year. Dell ships them.

    Dell ships the disks -- have since almost a year ago. I suspect the
    headache of not sending them was more than they saved.

    The only Dell Vista machine I have is a laptop. If you think the MBR is
    the same and can tell me how the heck I copy it, I can send it to you.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 9, 2007