    Ben Myers Guest

    Also, because Microsoft never bothered to document in in any of the printed DOS
    manuals... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2007

  2. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Here is the site with instructions and the download you need. That
    would greatly appreciated. The machine I have is also a laptop.

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

    Ron

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007

  3. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    DSRFix does not require an MBR image to fix the MBR. It just works.
    Very cool and I've used it a number of times.

    It is, however, for XP, NOT for Vista (search for Vista on that page).

    It is explained here: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/vista.htm

    I don't know how to fix a Vista boot record.

    Wait, that's not entirely true. VistaBootPro might do it. Try
    installing it and see if you can get it to fix the problem.

    Tom Scales, Sep 9, 2007
  4. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    Tom, this is the mbrsaver page. I think this refers to running mbrsaver from
    a floppy drive whuch you may not have. I'll check if it can be done from a
    bootable USB flash drive.

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixmbr.htm

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  5. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Vista boot pro only works inside windows. Try this site about Dell's
    MBR. I pasted the other site about MBR. This one talks about repairing
    the Dell MBR

    Ron

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixmbr.htm

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  6. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    I think so. You will need the /81 switch otherwise you will save the "MBR"
    of the flash drive.

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  7. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, I can do that. I do have a USB floppy, so booting isn't a problem.
    I hope this program can read a SATA hard drive.

    I doubt if I can do it tonight, but can tomorrow.

    Email me privately (this email works) with an email address to which I
    can send the file.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 9, 2007
  8. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  9. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    My address in the posting is correct. Thanks!

    mattsdaddy, Sep 9, 2007
  10. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  11. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    No problems with SATA.

    Brian K, Sep 9, 2007
  12. mattsdaddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    And here I thought you fixed a Vista boot record by running DBAN on the hard
    drive, then loading another operating system. Silly me... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 10, 2007
  13. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Tom:

    The MBR worked fine. I still have issues with the drive. Thanks for
    the download. I only repaired the MBR, not the disk ID or partition
    table.

    Ron

    mattsdaddy, Sep 10, 2007
  14. mattsdaddy

    Brian K Guest

    Ron, now that it's done, what advantage does the Dell MBR provide?

    Brian K, Sep 10, 2007
  15. mattsdaddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, a little progress at least. Glad I could help. Now we all know
    how to do it.

    Tom Scales, Sep 10, 2007
  16. mattsdaddy

    dg1261 Guest

    Sorry I'm late to this thread. I wish I had gotten here sooner to save you
    guys some trouble.

    You're correct that the XP MBR is different than the Vista MBR, and the Dell
    MBR is different from both. Although the Dell MBR was designed for their
    DSR-equipped XP machines, it would nevertheless be benign to use in place of
    any other generic or Microsoft MBR, such as the MBRs Microsoft provides with
    DOS, 98, XP, 2003 -- or anything in between. It won't harm anything, but if
    you don't have DSR it also won't add anything that a generic MBR can't do.

    While the Dell MBR was designed for DSR-equipped XP machines, bear in mind
    Dell's Vista machines do not use DSR. They use the ImageX recovery feature
    built into Vista. Since that's a Microsoft feature rather than a
    Dell-specific feature, there is no need for a custom MBR from Dell. IOW,
    Dell's Vista machines use the standard Microsoft Vista MBR. If you were to
    try it, I think you'd probably find that Ben's suggestion (to use the
    recovery console on the Vista DVD) would get you the same result as the MBR
    Tom sent you from his Dell/Vista machine.

    Not that that solves your problem, but my point is you were on a wild goose
    chase looking for something special that didn't exist.

    Dan Goodell

    dg1261, Sep 11, 2007
  17. mattsdaddy

    Zack Guest

    Ron,

    I have a dell Vista laptop (a few months old, if this matters), and
    can post my MBR. (I don't know whether this will do exactly what
    you need/want, and you'll have to clean it up the get the boot code.
    I'd post my back o original MBR, made before I repartitioned Vista.)

    I can't do it right now though but only later in the day, when I get
    my discs or can reboot in Windows.

    And -- I may need an explanation of how I 'post a file' on a forum :)

    Zack, Sep 11, 2007
  18. mattsdaddy

    Zack Guest

    Sorry about my previous, actually late, post.
    I didn't realize the issue had been beaten.

    Zack, Sep 11, 2007
  19. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    It has the restoration section, along with some diagnostics.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 13, 2007
  20. mattsdaddy

    mattsdaddy Guest

    Thanks for offering though. To everybody, thanks for your support and
    advise. I got the MBR fixed, but the OS partition is having issues.
    Unless I can repair it, I am going to lose pictures that are not
    backed up anywhere else. I have tried quite a few program, including
    Dell's System recovery without destroying the drive, Partition Magic,
    Spinrite just sits there, Disc commander isn't much help. Does anybody
    have any recommendations for a partition repair toll so I can at least
    gain access to those files. I will then crash the OS partition.

    mattsdaddy, Sep 13, 2007