    computer. Not sure what the problem is. I'm currently defragging but I
    doubt that is the problem.

    Are there any recommendations to fix this? Thanks.

    catbread.org, Jan 20, 2008

  2. catbread.org

    Jay B Guest

    could be you have too much crapware running in memory...
    list your running processes...

    Jay B, Jan 21, 2008

  3. catbread.org

    catbread.org Guest

    Doubt it:

    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 1:32:11 PM, on 1/21/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\ww.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

    I have scanned for viruses/adware/spyware

    catbread.org, Jan 21, 2008
  4. catbread.org

    Jay B Guest

    not saying you have anything bad, but just a little bloaty and slowing
    you down. and you need to tune a little bit more.

    you should be running procexp.exe and look to see if any of these are
    stealing cpu cycles.
    also, what processor and how much ram are you using?
    you could be over your memory limit, and into the swap file.

    Jay B, Jan 21, 2008
  5. catbread.org

    S.Lewis Guest

    That budget model has either an AMD Sempron or Turion (hope to hell it isn't
    the former). He said he's running 2.5Gb (1x512mb + 1x2Gb SODIMMs), which
    explains things.

    That machine can't take a 2Gb SODIMM, though it's obviously running, but not
    well. 1Gb SODIMMs are the limit with a 2Gb max. capacity:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1000/en/OM/html/specs.htm#wp1054574

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 21, 2008
  6. catbread.org

    catbread.org Guest

    I don't think that's bloated at all, but I suppose that's subjective.
    I will try running process explorer later and post if I find anything.

    I'm running a AMD64 X2 FX-53 (something like that) at 1.7 with 2.5
    gigs of ram.

    catbread.org, Jan 21, 2008
  7. catbread.org

    Pen Guest

    As noted elsewhere, check your memory being reported in the BIOS and/or
    system properties. That machine will not use greater than 1GB sodimms.
    Sell the 2GB and get 2 1GB ones.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Vostro 1000

    Pen, Jan 21, 2008
  8. catbread.org

    RnR Guest

    Reseat the ram and reboot. Did you mess with the bios?

    RnR, Jan 21, 2008
  9. the behavior that you describe is not likely anything that has been
    previously suggested. the vostros 1000 is a great machine with the only
    flaw being the horrible standard battery that dell ships with the unit when
    it is on sale and that provides less than a half hour of batter life (like
    laptops of 10 years ago - the 9 cell battery lasts over 4 hours). i suspect
    that your typing lag problem has to with the ie7 anti-phising scheme being
    enabled and that you have a lot of entries in your restricted sites list. i
    believe that norton populates the restricted sites list with tones of sites
    in a feeble attempt to prevent you from getting trojans. but it really
    isn't an effective method to deal with this and has other repercussions such
    as this slow typing that makes it actually have negative value. type to
    clear the entries in your restricted site list and let us know if that
    solves the problem or not...
    you may find thousands of entries that would take a long time to delete one
    by one via "internetproperties-security-restrictedsites" so you may want to
    delete them via the registry editor under
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]@=""

    Christopher Muto, Jan 21, 2008
  10. catbread.org

    catbread.org Guest

    Sorry I missed your post.

    The processor is actually AthlonX2. It seems to be handling the 2Gb
    just fine. I really don't think this is a RAM problem anymore. I
    switched it back in with the 512 and I'm still noticing the same
    thing. Both sticks test fine. The 2gb works fine in here and I do
    notice a performance increase but it's just really the typing that's
    bothering me.

    I have reseated the RAM multiple times. The BIOS settings have not
    been altered.

    Christopher:

    I don't use IE or Norton. I use firefox and NOD32.

    I just found out something interesting...When I booted my laptop this
    time, it's not doing the text hiccup. I've been testing it while it's
    on battery and not plugged into an AC outlet, and now it is. How could
    the AC possibly do that? I will test it on battery in a little while
    to see if it's doing the hiccup.

    catbread.org, Jan 22, 2008
  11. catbread.org

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I've found the Athelon chips very slow because of the small RAM cache size
    (512K, vs 2M in most core 2 duos). I don't know about the V1000 explicitly
    but the Inspiron 1501 gets, _on a cpu-and-RAM intensive job_ (!), in surveys for
    work,

    Athelon in Inspiron 1501
    406.59 sec 1695 MHz I1501 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53 533MHz FSB

    vs core 2 duo in a ``slower'' Vostro 1500
    235.53 sec 1595 MHz V1500 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5470 @ 1.60GHz 800MHz FSB

    If you're not running that particular kind of job, Athelon may be fine. Your bottleneck
    can be elsewhere.

    Raising the cache to 4MB and speed to 2.0GHz
    183.58 sec 1994 MHz V1500 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz 800MHz FSB

    Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2008
  12. doesn't really matter what you use, what matters is what is there. your
    machine came with ie and very likely also came with norton. once the damage
    is done there is only one way to undo it.... it would be worth the minimal
    effort it would take to open the ie internet properties and look so you can
    eliminate this as the posible source of your problem.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 22, 2008
  13. that's intel marking as run a muck. with larger intel cache size come larger
    instructions, making the larger cache not nearly as efficiency enhancing as
    in early generations of processors. notice in the numbers that you
    presented, the intel processor that is 25% faster in raw speed is not 25%
    faster in overall performance. this is probably due to the larger cache
    being less efficient despite what might be considered to defy common sense.
    intel may make some processors that out perform amd, but dollar for dollar
    you can not beat amd for price/performance.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 22, 2008