Dell Vostro (1500) and Linux, experiences?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Peltio, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. Peltio

    Peltio Guest

    Hi,

    anyone had a chance to install any Linux distros on the 'new' Dell vostro
    laptops?

    I'm about to buy a Vostro 1500 with a T7300 800 Mhz fsb, 2 GB ram
    667 Mhz, nVidia GO8600M GT, 160 GB sata drive, delll bluetooth, and intel
    wireless minicard for ieee802.11 draft N.
    The laptop will come with Vista Business (which I expect to donwgrade to
    XP pro sp2, since in my country this laptop won't come with xp installed)
    and I'd like to use a debian bases Linux distro on it. Possibly Debian
    itself.

    Anyone has experienced problems with Vostros (or Inspirons, which seem
    pretty similar in architecture) and Linux?

    Do I have to fear some troubles?

    thanks for any hint,
    Peltio

    PS
    I've heard that buying a wireless card with draft N isn't a smart thing to
    do, sicne the first draft won't be compatible with the final version of
    the standard. Is this true? Should I spare 30 bucks (more or less) and get
    a 'safer' Ieee 802.11 a/g card? Especially considering that I would like
    to have it work under Linux...

    Peltio, Jul 18, 2007

  2. Peltio

    vhalros Guest

    I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 on a Vostro 1500. I encountered a few
    issues,
    but I was mostly able to resolve them. I still haven't gotten the CD/
    DVD burner working yet,
    but I haven't really tried as I've been occupied with other tasks (its
    not automatic, any way).
    I wrote about the issues and how I solved them here:
    http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~nricci01/ubuntu_vostro/

    --Nathan Ricci

    vhalros, Aug 17, 2007