Dell vs. HP: The Distributor vs. The Innovator

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Alan S. Wales, May 26, 2004.

  1. Alan S. Wales, May 26, 2004

  2. Alan S. Wales

    Bob Pownall Guest

    Alan S. Wales wrote:
    <Link to NY Times article comparing Dell and HP's business models,
    especially in the printer area, deleted>

    As an "involuntary alumnus" of HP, all I can say is that there has
    recently been much discussion on the HP alumni newsgroups about Carly
    Fiorina and HP and HP's failure to come out with any really innovative
    products recently.

    The general consensus was that the inkjet printer, introduced some 15
    years ago, was possibly the last really innovative product to come out
    of HP, although some people held out for HP's Palmtop computer, a
    predecessor of the handheld/PDA market. Unfortunately, HP pretty much
    totally botched the marketing and positioning of that product. (Do
    *you* remember that the product ever existed?)

    HP's been pretty much coasting on the revenues from inkjet products for
    the last few years.

    As far as being innovative, the most innovative thing Carly could think
    of to do with $25 billion (I think that was the original amount, but I
    think the final amount was more like $19 billion in stock) was to buy
    Compaq.

    Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall, May 26, 2004