Dell Windows Vista to Windows 7 upgrade eligibility and registration:

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Jun 26, 2009.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Jun 26, 2009

  2. S.Lewis

    Bill Ghrist Guest

    In its great magnanimity Microsoft is also offering discount prices on
    pre-orders of Windows 7 upgrades today (June 26) through July 11 (in the
    USA). Home Premium for $49.99 (list $119.99), Professional for $49.99
    (list $99.99). Limit three per customer. Also "There are a limited
    number of copies available." (no indication of how many)

    There is much bitching and moaning in the comments to the Microsoft
    announcement (as well as other places) to the effect that M$ has a lot
    of gall charging even that much, given all the negative feedback from
    Vista users.

    Both XP and Vista are eligible for this upgrade, but for XP it must be
    done as a clean install.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=software&field-keywords=windows+7&x=15&y=15

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat185500050009&type=category

    Bill Ghrist, Jun 26, 2009

  3. S.Lewis

    Rich Guest

    Wrong price for Professional. It is $99.99

    Rich, Jun 26, 2009
  4. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    As an aside, given that a clean install is needed for the XP Pro -> Vista
    Business upgrade, I wonder if it is safe to assume that ANY of the upgrade
    discs are capable of a qualifying clean install?

    Meaning, if I wanted to "upgrade" my XPS 420 (WinVista Home Premium 32) to
    Win7 Home Premium, I'd simply prefer to perform a clean install rather than
    a "true" upgrade.

    I'm guessing that is possible with the proper Vista product key.

    S.Lewis, Jun 26, 2009
  5. S.Lewis

    Bill Ghrist Guest

    Sorry--I garbled that. As you say, the discount price for Professional
    is $99.99 (list $199.99).

    Bill Ghrist, Jun 27, 2009
  6. S.Lewis

    Boris Guest

    Same here. I'd prefer a clean install on two Vista Home Premium 32
    machines that I have. The best information I've been able to find on
    this so far is:

    http://tinyurl.com/nab2fp

    http://tinyurl.com/m63u4l

    Boris, Jun 28, 2009
  7. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Thanks for the links. Looks like the answer is 'yes', but spinning up the
    upgrade media from the GUI, which is fine.

    S.Lewis, Jun 28, 2009
  8. S.Lewis

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I installed W7 RC on my Vista Pro machine. I was able to do a clean
    install on a logical drive, leaving my original Vista installation intact.

    BTW, I have no intention of going back to Vista. W7 is very good. As far
    as I'm concerned, the RC is a stable and terrific product. I'll be
    replacing my Vista installation as soon as W7 is released...

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jun 29, 2009