  1. Will

    Tony Harding Guest

    Hah? Please come back when you're lucid.

    Tony Harding, Jun 3, 2007

  2. Why do you think that he is going to great lengths to complain about
    it? Once a Usenet thread is started, then the OP understandably
    answers posts to the threads. Often I learn a lot from reading
    through them.

    P.S. -- RnR, could you please also respond to this with my new e-mail
    set up for Usenet posting --- . Thanks!

    feel free to e-mail, this is my real address:, Jun 3, 2007

  3. Will

    Journey Guest

    Another try, so that Journey still shows up...

    Journey, Jun 3, 2007
  4. Will

    RnR Guest

    You don't think it was obvious? I understand how Usenet works but he
    continued to answer his replies with the same rant (over and over)
    despite being told he was wrong and why.

    And forgive me (no rudeness intended) but I don't recognize you nor
    know why I need to email you so I'm not using email for this reply.
    But if I'm wrong, you may email me or reply here if you feel the need.

    And if you are new here, WELCOME and don't let my reply deter you from
    posting your thoughts or knowledge here again <grin>. And if you
    aren't new, pardon my stupidity.

    RnR, Jun 4, 2007
  5. Will

    RnR Guest

    Journey, I just replied to a post before yours in this thread and now
    wonder if that was your post??? I'm a bit confused (it won't be the
    first time nor last time <grin> )

    RnR, Jun 4, 2007
  6. Will

    Journey Guest

    Yes, I was setting up a profile and thought the name identifier would
    actually be where the e-mail is.

    Journey, Jun 4, 2007
  7. Will

    Will Guest

    It's very simple. All of Dell's competitors don't require you to buy from
    them directly in order to get a warranty on an LCD monitor. So people who
    want to have flexibility in who they buy from won't buy from Dell.

    Will, Jun 4, 2007
  8. Will

    Will Guest

    I'm making the point that Dell should change their warranty policy for LCDs
    in order to compete with the rest of the industry. You sound like a Dell
    employee trying to interpret their policy, but I don't need help
    understanding what their policy is. The existing policy simply doesn't
    compete well with what other companies are already doing for warranty, and
    what I suspect many many consumers would want the policy to be.

    If you don't want the policy to change, okay.

    Yes their warranty policy toward LCDs caught me by surprise. Yes, the
    reseller we used is a great guy and is helping through the situation. Yes,
    I would like Dell to change their policy in any case, and probably many
    others would as well.

    Will, Jun 4, 2007
  9. Will

    Tom Scales Guest

    And those of us that want an outstanding monitor for an excellent price
    with good support (better than HP, et al) will buy direct from Dell and
    will have a full 3-year warranty.

    Tom Scales, Jun 5, 2007
  10. Will

    PDR Guest

    Is he? From what you have said on here it sounds like the "reseller" is a
    right shark who's spotted a mug and is using a stunning line in bullshit to
    avoid his statutory responsibilities. I'll admit I'm not fully familiar with
    the legal systems of the colonial wildernesses, but over here in the
    imperial homeland the situation would be very clear. You bought a product
    from company X (the reseller). If the product fails within an unreasonably
    short time (we actually have statutory minimum limits for this, but the
    courts in the colonial mud-huts may not have got this far) then COMPANY X is
    responsible for repairing/replacing the faulty product or refunding the
    purchase price because he sold goods that were "not of merchandible quality"
    (as defined in the Sale Of Goods and Services Act and an EU directive which
    extended it). How he does this is entirely his problem, and whether the
    costs of the repair/replacement are subsequently underwritten by the
    wholesaler/manufacturer from whom he bought the product is utterly
    irrelevent.

    Your reseller isn't a "Great Guy who's helping you" - he's obviously a crook
    and a fraudster who's takling you for a right mug, and you're falling for it
    hook, line and sinker. You sound like the best kind of customer - can I
    interest you in a historic bridge, or possibly some valuable Enron shares?

    So the bottom line is that your contract is with the reseller - sue him or
    stop whining about it.

    PDR

    PDR, Jun 5, 2007
  11. Will

    Will Guest

    I'm not disagreeing with you about statutes and legal responsibility. But
    the point of the thread was never to complain about the reseller or the
    reseller's behavior. The point was to ask why Dell doesn't handle LCD
    warranty as most of Dell's competitors handle it.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007
  12. You still haven't answered the who is the reseller question.

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jun 6, 2007
  13. Will

    Ben Myers Guest

    And I think people have told you why Dell doesn't handle LCD warranty as most of
    Dell's competitors handle it. Maybe 10 or 11 times? Caveat emptor.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 6, 2007
  14. Will

    Will Guest

    I don't think someone explained more than the fact of their policy, not why
    that policy makes sense for anyone except Dell.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007
  15. Will

    Tom Scales Guest

    Who else should it make sense for? It's their policy. They get to
    decide. They can decide that the warranty is only valid if it breaks
    during a full moon if they want.

    I think their policy is silly, but I know what it is and act
    accordingly.

    Tom Scales, Jun 6, 2007
  16. Will

    MZB Guest

    I guess that's your story and you are sticking to it no matter what people
    say.

    Why even post if you won't listen to some very thoughtful responses from a
    variety of intelligent people.

    I will add my voice to: your problem is with the RESELLER.

    Why won't you name the RESELLER???

    Mel

    MZB, Jun 6, 2007
  17. Will

    MZB Guest

    Just curious: Exactly HOW is the RESELLER helping???

    Is he/she refunding your money? Fixing the monitor??

    Just curious.

    Mel

    MZB, Jun 6, 2007
  18. Will

    MZB Guest

    Your point may not have been to complain about the RESELLER, but the point
    of the responses -- which you don't seem to fathom -- is that the RESELLER
    is the correct one to complain about

    Mel

    MZB, Jun 6, 2007
  19. Will

    Will Guest

    Reseller called Dell. Dell replaced LCD. So in the end Dell ends up
    replacing the LCD anyway, and caused a lot of unnecessary grief to the
    parties involved.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007
  20. Will

    Will Guest

    Exactly. There is no contradiction between knowing what the policy is and
    acting accordingly, and thinking the policy is silly.

    All I was trying to say was I thought that Dell's LCD warranty policy is
    silly / badly-thought-out. At the same time, I understand the policy, and
    I'm acting around it as well.

    Instead of just staying on the topic, we get dozens of messages explaining:

    - what the policy is, which wasn't really in doubt and wasn't the topic

    - why Dell is a very successful company, which wasn't the topic

    - why anyone who resells Dell product that isn't Dell is a bad company hell
    bent on ripping people off, which is a horribly misdirected point and wasn't
    the topic

    - why it's all my fault that I bought the LCD from anyone than Dell, which
    wasn't in contention and wasn't the topic

    - why it's great to be a Dell customer, which is perhaps a fair
    counterpoint, but wasn't really the topic

    Your point is "who cares why Dell does this; they just do and move on." I
    guess that is a fair response and I'll not press it.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007