  1. Will

    Journey Guest

    Who is the reseller?

    Journey, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Will

    Journey Guest

    On Usenet topics often diverge from the original topic.

    Journey, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Will

    Journey Guest

    Maybe he's afraid that if he names the reseller we will go out to the
    site and find out what its policy is and discover that it is different
    than what is being represented here, undermining everything that he
    has said.

    Journey, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Will

    Tom Scales Guest

    So the reseller did the job a reseller should have to do and the end
    result was exactly as expected.

    Dell came through.

    You just spent the last few days trashing their reputation for no
    reason.

    When purchasing products through a reseller, you go do the reseller for
    support. For example, if you want Windows support for the OEM version
    on your new Dell, do you go to MS? NO, you go to the reseller.

    Dell.

    Tom Scales, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Will

    RnR Guest

    The longer he refuses to divulge the reseller's name, the more I agree
    with you. If this reseller is as good as the OP stated, I bet the
    Dell policy is stated on the reseller's web site but the OP didn't
    bother to read it so of course he was not aware of it and now claims
    it's a silly policy. And he had a duty or responsibility BEFORE
    spending someone else's money, to learn what the warrantee was or
    wasn't which he did NOT do.

    It looks to me like the reseller saved his ass. Last, I wonder how
    many would want him in their purchasing department if they owned a
    large company?

    RnR, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Will

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Die evil bandwidth eating thread, die."

    It needed to be said. Last week.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 6, 2007
  7. It seems probable the reseller was less than competent doing what was
    necessary to transfer ownership to you.
    If that is the case, the reseller caused the grief by not following
    established policy.
    Until that is properly done, Dell can do little but refer you to the
    reseller.

    Who is the reseller?

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 6, 2007
  8. Will

    Wallen Elton Guest

    I think somewhere here we should not forget the price he paid would have
    been different if Dell was furnishing the warranty directly. The
    reseller made the policy outside of Dell control thereby assuming
    responsibility.

    Wallen Elton, Jun 6, 2007
  9. Will

    Will Guest

    It was an efficient way to administer support. What would happen with
    Dell's major LCD competitors is that the end user would call the
    manufacturer, give a serial number, talk to a technician, and either get a
    replacement or work through a solution by phone. What happened instead
    was call from the end user that took 30 minutes with a bad result, calls and
    email to reseller to establish situation, then additional calls from
    reseller to Dell.

    I'm not trashing their reputation except for simply pointing out the
    silliness of their support for just LCDs.

    We always go to Microsoft for support on Windows, and we pay extra for that.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007
  10. Will

    Will Guest

    As established earlier in this thread, Dell does not transfer warranty on
    LCDs. They do on computers with service tags.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007
  11. Will

    Will Guest

    This thread isn't a complaint about a reseller. It was a complaint about
    how Dell administers LCD warranty.

    All of these complaints people are posting about the reseller and about my
    failure to read x, y, and z are redirections of the topic of this thread and
    I refuse to take the bait. My one and only complaint was about how Dell
    handles administration of LCD warranties. Everything else is non topical.

    Will, Jun 6, 2007
  12. Will

    RnR Guest

    Ok but IF you knew about the warrantee (silly or not) ahead of time,
    why did you buy a Dell product only to complain about it later? Most
    people who don't like the way a business does business don't buy from
    them but you did.

    And re-read your first post. You didn't mention how silly it was but
    that you were not aware of Dell's policy for your case. So I ask
    again, who's fault is this? The only thing silly is that you didn't
    bother to read the policy BEFORE you spent money.

    RnR, Jun 7, 2007
  13. Will

    Tom Scales Guest

    EXACTLY! If you'd paid the normal price for the monitor and bought it
    through Dell, you would have gone straight to Dell!

    You chose the cheaper route where you didn't have access to Dell.

    NOW YOU GET IT!

    Tom Scales, Jun 7, 2007
  14. Will

    MZB Guest

    Yes, the thread started one way and people pointed out the errors of your
    thinking.

    Oh, well, has this thread been beaten to death yet??

    Mel

    MZB, Jun 7, 2007
  15. Will

    Ben Myers Guest

    Now quit flogging a dead horse. Caveat emptor!!!!!!!!! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 7, 2007
  16. Will

    Will Guest

    Could you at least try to stay with the same thought from one post to the
    next?

    Your original post:

    "When purchasing products through a reseller, you go do the reseller for
    support. For example, if you want Windows support for the OEM version
    on your new Dell, do you go to MS? NO, you go to the reseller."

    Now you say pay Dell extra and go to them?

    I wouldn't go to Dell for Windows support if I were paying them full price
    on every computer we bought. They aren't competent to the task. I pay
    Microsoft extra because they are the only vendor I can find with cheap
    competent email based support. If I purchased the software from Microsoft
    directly I would still be stuck paying Microsoft for the support.

    In any case, any analogy to software is tenuous since software support
    contracts and warranties are not typically similar to those done for
    hardware.

    Will, Jun 7, 2007
  17. Will

    Will Guest

    In the bigger picture, if Dell did LCD warranty the way they do computer
    warranty, or the way all their competitors do LCD warranty, they would sell
    more product, and would be able to better use distribution channels.

    Instead of addressing that point, people tried to change the topic into one
    about personal responsibility, reseller behavior, and however many other
    different topics. It is erroneous to say people pointed out the errors of
    my thinking, because they didn't address the original thought. Instead
    they brought up irrelevant new issues that were never in question.

    Of course I went back to the reseller. Of course the reseller took care of
    it. Of course I am responsible for what I buy. Of course if I were
    buying 20 monitors I would take the three hours to read the fineprint on all
    of Dell's web sites. Why is any of this relevant to the topic? As many
    times as I would try to gently try to guide the topic back on track, the
    same posters just took the topic right back off the tracks.

    Yes!

    Will, Jun 7, 2007
  18. Can you please tell us who the reseller is so we can all know who
    helped you with your issue?
    You continued withholding of that information serves no purpose except
    to give others reason to suspect much of what you have said.

    This has been asked and IGNORED by you many times.
    Why?

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 7, 2007
  19. Will

    PDR Guest

    That's certainly one way to view it. Another might be that you started a
    thread identifying problems you were experiencing in getting support. People
    tried to help you with your problem by pointing out that you were attempting
    to get your support from the wrong place. That isn't a diversion of the
    thread, it's an attempt to help you with the ACTUAL problem. Like when
    someone visits a doctor complaining that they are overweight and demanding
    liposuction. A GOOD doctor will encourage them to eat more sensibly and take
    more exercise.

    The thread has become "heated" because you are insisting on liposuction
    rather than listening to the (good)advice.

    And now I believe this thread is well overdue for an orange jump suit and a
    free, all expenses paid vacation in the Carribean.

    PDR

    PDR, Jun 7, 2007
  20. Will

    RnR Guest

    While I can appreciate what you are saying, I think you are wasting
    your time with the OP. I think he wants to blame Dell for his
    experience providing selective information and puts down all replies
    that contradict his reasons or ask for more information.

    RnR, Jun 8, 2007