    The point is, that you wouldn't be using the Dell CD key. You'd be using
    the CD key that is pasted to the side of the other computer.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Bob Levine

    Ben Myers Guest

    Mel,

    Not exactly. Answers to your questions, one by one, below:

    No hassle, in the sense that the installation would proceed exactly as tho you
    were using a generic Windows XP CD from Microsoft.

    ie: there would be no activation problem even if XP is still installed on my
    DELL?

    Depending on which product key you use, there may or may not be an activation
    problem. If you used a product key for which Windows had already been installed
    AND activated, you would have an activation problem of some magnitude. If the
    product key had never been activated, e.g. it was not the product key taken from
    the side of a Dell or other box, activation would be as painless as possible.

    The idea behind activation is mindlessly simple. It is to ensure, as much as
    possible, the idea of one product key = one computer... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Bob Levine

    Arthur Hardy Guest

    Unless your employer is using a "Site License"

    Arthur Hardy, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Well, they are the license which allows you to run the OS, and are
    hence the expensive/valuable part of the OS kit.
    You would be stealing an unauthorized XP install from your employer's
    license, and they or M$ might eventually ask you some rather pointed
    questions.

    William P.N. Smith, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Bob Levine

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, then you'd just be stealing.

    Tom Scales, Jul 29, 2004
  6. Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
    BIOS is a Dell BIOS?

    Alex Flaherty, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Bob Levine

    David Casey Guest

    Just a note here but I've installed Windows XP Home (using the same CD-key)
    on my old desktop way more than 3 times and never once have I had to call
    in to activate it. It always worked over the Internet.

    I believe if you install Windows XP onto a different machine or a machine
    which has had significant hardware changes using a key which was used
    before then you need to call in to explain what is going on. That's the
    same reason if you change some hardware in your machine the OS will prompt
    you to reactivate it. I'm guessing that's to keep someone from installing
    it on one machine, activating it, then moving the hard drive to another
    machine.
    Just the color and design on the CD itself. :)

    Dave
    --
    We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    US Army Signal Corps!
    www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey, Jul 30, 2004
  8. Bob Levine

    Tom Scales Guest

    It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but still
    be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
    activation.

    Either way, still stealing.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 30, 2004
  9. "Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell BIOS is a Dell BIOS?"

    The same is not true of a Windows license.

    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    Ted Zieglar aka Rocky, Jul 31, 2004
  10. Violating a Copyright is not stealing. There's a world of difference
    both in definition and law. It's illegal, yes, but it's not "stealing".
    Too many people confuse this issue on purpose and you are probably just
    repeating what they have told you. In any case, it's still not stealing.

    Anthony Soprano, Jul 31, 2004
  11. Bob Levine

    Tom Scales Guest

    Perhaps not in the legal definition of the word, but using someone else's
    property, without permission, certainly fits the definition on
    dictionary.com:

    To take (the property of another) without right or permission

    Or is the legal distinction how you rationalize your behavior?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 1, 2004
  12. Using someone else's property without permission is not stealing.
    Trespassing or copying without permission, yes, but it's not stealing.
    Stealing _is_ taking somthing. But copying without permission doesn't
    "take" anything away from anybody. If something is taken from somebody
    then they don't have it anymore, but it's pretty clear that when a book
    or a song or a piece of software is copied no one else is missing their
    own copy.

    I guess the ability to differentiate between the two concepts is beyond
    fucksticks like you.

    Anthony Soprano, Aug 1, 2004
  13. Bob Levine

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ah, more measured, dignified and highly rational responses, especially the last
    sentence... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 1, 2004
  14. Bob Levine

    Notan Guest

    Forget it, Ben.

    Arguing with someone, with this type of mentality, is like arguing with
    a bag of rocks.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 1, 2004
  15. Bob Levine

    Tom Scales Guest

    I quoted a dictionary definition.

    I'm willingbet you have a few 'copies' of things that you feel alright about
    because of this very fine distinction.

    You keep those happy thoughts all the way to your jail cell -- your new
    boyfriend is dying to meet you.

    Particularly love how you resort to profanity and name calling when your
    argument falls apart.

    Be sure to call up Miriam-Webster and let them know their dictionary is
    wrong.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 1, 2004
  16. Bob Levine

    Sparky Guest

    So you're no lawyer.

    Sparky, Aug 1, 2004
  17. With the ethics and morals he displayed it's quite likely that the
    fool IS a lawyer

    pixie

    Gretchen Evans, Aug 1, 2004
  18. Bob Levine

    JLP20 Guest

    I may be wrong, but I believe that software companies allow the actual "buyer"
    to have the software in three places. The home or desktop, mobile or laptop and
    a back up the the buyer made themself. Now this was discussed a while ago and
    delt with your everyday software. I see no difference between an application
    and an operating system as far as this rule of three.

    I see the question as, can one of the three "uses" be given to another person
    with your permission since you are the owner
    "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    JLP20, Aug 1, 2004
  19. Bob Levine

    Notan Guest

    It all depends on the company... Different company, different license agreement.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 1, 2004
  20. Bob Levine

    Sparky Guest