Dell XPS 8300 - Doesn't Boot

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Medpack, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Medpack

Medpack

My Dell is a 2011-05-23 model with Win Pro 7 - and 4 memory sticks in it. Its run b\pretty well up to now. A couple of times it did not boot up put shutting it down and restarting it - it came right up. Today my wife was using it and it just shut down. ok - my computer does not have 4 lights on it like most I have read about. I took it apart and cleaned it up - it wasn't that dusty.
    1. When you push the power button the computer fans inside start to spin - there is 4 fans in the machine. 1 to 2 seconds later they all shut down
    2. There is a pause for like 5 seconds and you hear the fans kick in again for 1 to 2 seconds and again they shut down. this will continue if you don't push the power button and hold it for 10 seconds.
    3. When you plug the tower in there is a green light on the back of the computer by the plug that does come on in green color and one on the mother board in yellow with writing by it - AUX pw4.

From the different posts I see things like unplug the fans to see if they are shorted.
    Pull all the components and re-seat them, still didn't work.
    Pull the battery and wait a few minutes and replace it and then try - didn't help.

So how can I tell is it the motherboard that is bad or the power supply that might be bad. also read somewhere it might be the power on/off switch. any help or ideas would be great full - yea the warranty has run out and from what I can make out dell wants 239.00 dollars to let them diagnose it.

Medpack, Dec 26, 2013
Ask a Question