Dell XPS Studio (i7 860) Freezes Frequently

Discussion in 'Dell' started by quadzila, Nov 6, 2010.

  1. quadzila

    quadzila Guest

    Hello Everyone,
    About four weeks ago I bought a Dell XPS Studio from Delloutlet.com.
    The system has an Intel i7 860 chip with eight gig of RAM and is
    running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I paid around $860 for the unit
    which was listed as a scratch-and-dent model that actually looks
    brand-new without a mark on it. The system ran fine for the first few
    days but then one day the system totally froze, it would not respond
    to any input from the keyboard or mouse including no reaction to
    hitting the control-alt-delete keys. I also tried inserting a couple
    of application install CDs and DVDs to see if the install dialogue box
    would pop up but it did not. The mouse pointer was also frozen despite
    my moving the mouse and clicking the right and left buttons. I also
    use Windows Sticky Keys which will generate a beep tone each time I
    press the control, alt or shift keys but no beep tone is generated
    when the PC freezes up like this. I ended up having to turn the system
    off and then back on with the power button. This has happened two or
    three more times since then but there's no real pattern to when it
    happens, I was performing a different task each time it locked up. The
    applications that I run on a regular basis are Zonealarm, Dragon
    NaturallySpeaking 11, and Mozilla Firefox. I also have Norton Ghost
    Version 14 installed which is listed as incompatible with that version
    of Windows 7 but the first of these crashes started prior to my
    installing Ghost.

    Does the fact that the system did not respond to the
    control-alt-delete keys or inserting an application install disk
    indicate a hardware problem? Has anyone else experienced similar
    freeze ups on a similarly equipped PC? I'm running Windows 7 Business
    32-bit version on my Inspiron 1525 laptop and have never had any
    crashes or lockups like this. I'd hate to have to return this machine
    as I love the speed, Dragon NaturallySpeaking reacts almost instantly
    even when running several other applications (the XPS replaced the P4
    Dell Dimension 8400 I'd been using for the past six years). Thanks in
    advance for any info you can provide!

    quadzila, Nov 6, 2010

  2. My Studio XPS 7100 kept black-screening for about three seconds every
    thirty seconds or so until I did a clean install.

    I have other issues (detailed elsewhere in this forum) but I suspect
    the culprit in my original problem was the bundled 15 month free trial
    of McAfee.

    Rasta Pickles, Nov 6, 2010

  3. quadzila

    Helroy Guest

[...]

    Hi,

    Since Win7 has a built-in firewall, start by removing bloated crappy Zone Alarm.

    Helroy, Nov 6, 2010
  4. quadzila

    John Novicki Guest

    Had a similar issue with a new Optiplex 980 at work. After Dell coming out to replace every part in the machine (including motherboard) and reformating many times, they finally deduced that it was the processor (Intel Core i5) and replaced the whole machine.

    John Novicki, Nov 10, 2010