Dell510m can't use portable "cutie" harddrive

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Wylie Wilde, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Wylie Wilde

    Wylie Wilde Guest

    Hello,

    My friends comes over with his portable harddrive- brandname is cutie. Its
    slim, silver you get the picture.

    However, it doesn't register with my Dell 510m. We plug in the USB cable but
    it doesn't work. No USB click sound. Just nothing. blank.

    My machine works and can talk with my Canon camera, Brother fax machine
    etc.. but not with Cutie.

    Any suggestions on how to get them to work together??

    --
    Regards,
    Wilde

    ___________________________
    Classic Humor
    www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail117.html

    Wylie Wilde, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Wylie Wilde

    Notan Guest

    An external power supply for the hard drive.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 14, 2005

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    C.Joseph Drayton, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Wylie Wilde

    larwe Guest

    However, it doesn't register with my Dell 510m. We plug in the USB
    cable but
    The hard drive isn't getting enough power. Either use an external PSU
    (if the hard drive offers this as an option) or connect through a
    powered USB hub.

    larwe, Mar 14, 2005

  5. Looking here http://www.exim21.com/computer/cutie-ex.php two things stand
    out.

    1.) "Simple installation. Just plug it in and load the driver once."

    While XP does well with a large number of USB devices some still require
    their own drivers.

    2.) "Some PC or Mac system may not provide adequate power through the USB
    port to power the external hard drive."

    Consider a powered hub.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.