Deskjet 970cxi cartridge doesn't work

Discussion in 'HP' started by Oskar Wild, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Oskar Wild

    Oskar Wild Guest

    Hello,

    I've plugged in a NEW (however, archived) color cartridge which was
    very expensive when I bought it but it doesn't work.The orange
    cartridge indicator LED blinks, blinks, blinks. And I cannot print in
    color.

    I guess the reason is the built in expiration date that I've read of
    in numerous magazine articles. The box shows "Jan 2003" as date.

    Is there a way to make my cartridge work?

    I am sure it's okay, but I HATE HP forcing us to buy new expensive
    cartridges and not allowing us to archive cartridges for later use. Is
    there a way to get it replaced in computer stores and what do
    attorneys say about this organized anti-consumer behaviour, this money
    destruction?

    Thanks
    Ossi

    Oskar Wild, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Oskar Wild

    Bob Headrick Guest

    There is nothing in the cartridge or printer that would cause it to disable
    itself when it is expired. There are some normal things that can deteriorate
    in storage, especially if the cartridge was stored at high temperatures.

    My guess would be you have an interconnect issue. See the following:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

    Regards,
    Microsoft MVP

    Bob Headrick, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Oskar Wild

    Walt Howard Guest

    I wouldn't be so sure it's OK. Remember, the ink sets by drying, and it
    is stored in liquid form in the cartridge, and there are all these holes
    in the cartridge (nozzles and air-balance) that let water vapor out. So
    the ink gradually dries out in the cartridge. The manufacturers (all of
    them, not just HP) manage a decent balance between having the ink be too
    watery when brand new and having it remain liquid enough to squirt for
    a year or more. If you want indefinite shelf life, you'll have to pay
    more for less-permeable ink containers and plan to store them in a water
    bath - a very clean water bath so it doesn't corrode the electronics.

    If you store a cartridge long enough, the electrical contacts will
    corrode even in air. I suppose you could try the contact-cleaning
    instructions from HP's website.

    Sometimes these annoyances aren't deliberate; they come from fundamental
    laws of chemistry. If you don't like the expiration time of inkjet
    cartridges, you could buy a laser printer. The laser toner is a solid
    and does not dry out.

    Walt Howard, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Oskar Wild

    reid decker Guest