    about not seeing a disk etc etc. The 40GB is fine in the
    secondary/slave position. So what are the max sizes I can put in this
    thing?

    Leigh, May 10, 2005

  2. Leigh

    Ben Myers Guest

    With the typical Intel 430-series chipsets used by Compaq in Socket 7 MMX
    systems, the memory limit is the current 128MB. It is interesting and almost a
    little surprising that the 40GB hard drive works at all, because typical late
    Socket 7 systems have a BIOS hard drive limit of 8.4GB. The 40GB drive works
    properly because Linux is designed to use it the right way even though BIOS
    capacity limits are exceeded. Unfortunately, Windows is not so tolerant.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 10, 2005

  3. Leigh

    Leigh Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    I only use it really as a repository/backup/server for a XP Pro laptop
    and the kids XP Home system. So having the biggish disk was vital. With
    the advent of a digital camera an even bigger disk might be needed so
    was wondering if there were other limits like the 137GB one. It does
    have a SCSI card as well (Adaptec 2904) so expansion along that route
    might be possible but expensive. Although a second hand tape drive
    might do it. That said a USB2 card and external disks like that might
    make more sense and cheaper.

    I've read, subsequently, other articles which imply 384MB or 512MB is
    the RAM limit so was more wondering if these limits in the publications
    are limits that might be 384 is the limit because there are only 128MB
    SIMMS at the moment and time has overtaken realities and BIOSes have
    been upgraded.

    I noticed some dip switches that affect speed. Is overclocking one of
    these a matter of reselecting the switches - albeit carefully? Samba is
    surprisingly quick from the Windows viewpoint and Mozilla is OK (at
    233MHz) but as soon as too much happens it does tend to grind. That
    said it does get there - eventually.

    Leigh, May 11, 2005
  4. Leigh

    Ben Myers Guest

    I misread the P6 233MMX. The system would then be a Slot 1 rather than a Socket
    7, right? If so, faster CPUs are possible up to a limit, either 300 or 333MHz
    without modification. If the system has an Intel 440LX chipset like most early
    Compaq Slot 1 systems, the memory limit is, in fact, 384MB with 3 DIMM sockets
    or 512MB with 4 DIMM sockets. Memory would need to be low-density non-parity
    168-pin DIMMs. Whether EDO or SDRAM, I do not know, because I do not have
    detailed specs for the beastie.

    Linux is extremely economical in its use of resources compared to Windows
    bloatware, so I'm not surprised that the box would run pretty responsively as it
    is. If surplus computers are as cheap and easy over there as they are here in
    the U.S., a replacement may prove to be more cost-effective than spending money
    to upgrade this one... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 11, 2005
  5. Leigh

    Leigh Guest

    Exactly. It's a full sized desktop box so has lots of room. Any
    "expansion" I'd like to be items that could transfer to another system
    i.e. cards, disks etc when this one caves in.

    It's been a good reliable system though. Eight years old and still
    going with it's original disk. Rarely turn it off that which helps.

    Leigh, May 11, 2005