    in there?

    Thanks a lot,
    Adam

    Adam Richardson, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Adam Richardson

    HH Guest

    HH, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Well, when I first got the computer I exchanged some emails with Compaq
    and they said its a: DeskPro 4000S 5166X

    However, it's got a 200MHz processor - I suspect it's been upgraded by
    the previous owner...
    Oh, this is interesting - info on there I'd not found before - thanks.
    The pdf says my computers got EIDE already, but AIDA32 says:

    Physical Devices:
    Bus 0, Device 20, Function 1 VIA VT82C571 IDE Controller

    Of course, I'm not very techie in these things - has it got IDE or EIDE?

    Thanks,
    Adam

    P.S. On a worrying note, while browsing AIDA, under Config>Environment,
    with a little registry symbol I found the line:
    BLASTER A220 I10 D1 H5 P300 T6

    Have I got Blaster? I do regular virus/trojan scans and have a firewall!
    :-(

    Adam Richardson, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Adam Richardson

    HH Guest

    The QuickSpecs say it came with a 2.1 GB EIDE drive.
    HH

    HH, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Adam Richardson

    Adam Guest

    So, has it got IDE or EIDE? Does it matter?
    Can I buy /any/ new hard drive and CD-RW?

    Thanks a lot,
    Adam

    Adam, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Adam Richardson

    Sharmon Guest

    I used to work for Compaq and the most I have seen used with regular
    success and the LATEST BIOS upgrade (really important !!!! ) <<<<<
    see important note on BIOS upgrade , is 12 GB . Some have claimed 18
    GB which might be true but 12 GB should work with the DP4000.

    Sharmon, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Adam Richardson

    Tom Scales Guest

    If 12GB will work, then anything up to 120GB should work. The only common
    breakpoint is 8GB. Some, but very few, are reported to have a 32gb limit,
    but there is no practical reason that would be true.

    Greater than 120GB would be problematic.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 25, 2004
  8. Adam Richardson

    Sharmon Guest

    I am writing you this reply on an Armada 1750 P400 that has an 18 GB
    HDD and will only "see" 18 GB of a 30 GB that I've tried previously .
    The main advantage to using a larger HDD without seeing the space
    would be the , usually" faster spindle and access times. As I said
    others do claim to make it work and if it does , good but I have
    consistently seen 12 GB work well. Besides , Tom , I agree with you on
    everything else so I have to have a different opinion somewhere no ?
    :)

    Sharmon, Feb 25, 2004
  9. Adam Richardson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sorry to say this, but if it only 'sees' 18GB then it has been configured
    improperly. The only breakpoints on ANY machine are at powers of 2 (8gb,
    16gb, 32gb, 64gb). It's a function of the number of bits that are used for
    addressing. Properly partitioning and configuring your drive would allow
    your machine to access all 30GB.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 25, 2004
  10. Adam Richardson

    HH Guest

    My dual processor Giga-Byte GA6BXD motherboard needed a BIOS update to
    install a HD larger than 64GB.
    HH

    HH, Feb 25, 2004
  11. You may have issues with disks larger than 32GB, but EIDE disks will
    work, just not at optimum speed. You might want to consider installing
    a PCI EIDE controller; they're pretty cheap and will give you better
    performance and no disk size issues.

    Any CDRW should work without problem.

    Steve

    Steve Wechsler, Feb 25, 2004
  12. Adam Richardson

    Adam Guest

    Thanks to all who replied, off to look for new drives now... ;-)

    Adam

    Adam, Feb 26, 2004