Deskpro 4000s keyboard beeping strangeness

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Adam Richardson, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Hi There,

    I wonder if anyone can help me...

    I've got an old Deskpro and sometimes when I'm using it, the keyboard
    (and sometimes the mouse) freezes, the num-lock/caps-lock go out and
    there a loud, repetitive beeping from somewhere inside the machine.
    Usually, after a minute of so the beeping stops and everything starts
    working again!

    Anyone got any ideas? I don't think the keyboard's at fault as I use it
    regularly on another machine. (Yes, which means I unplug and plug it in
    a lot :-(

    Oh, while I'm here...
    Also, sometimes when I turn the machine on, I get a (BIOS) message
    saying that two disks (each less than a couple of MB) have been detected
    and my configuration updated. What's that all about? My clock did loose
    the time once recently - could this be a CMOS battery problem?

    Thanks a lot,
    Adam

    Adam Richardson, Dec 9, 2003