    Anyone else seen this? The pen color I have for Ink Desktop is blue; it is
    conceivable others might see the same phenomenon in a different shade
    depending on the color they chose.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 12, 2005

  3. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Landscape, 1024x768 high color. No templates - just Transparent and full
    screen.

    I just got the orange flash again - the desktop turned its proper color
    after rebooting, then I got a second of orange late in the boot (when tray
    icons were being added) then back to the proper color.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 12, 2005
  5. Mickey Segal

    Woody Guest

    I had a temporary orange section.
    I installed inkdesktop and it was fine, but it didn't install the theme
    properly as I had the old theme of the same name installed.
    To reinstall the theme I had to remove the old theme, and after doing
    that and restarting, I got the orange desktop on startup, and when
    reinstalled the theme it went to light blue.
    After a restart it was fine though and I haven't seen it again.

    Woody, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Maybe we have stumbled across some law of nature and this is how Orange
    Guava got its name.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 12, 2005
  8. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I never selected the Energy Blue Theme. I installed it, and then looked at
    its options, I think in Display Properties | Appearance, and did not click
    OK or Apply since the only choice of color scheme was blue. However, now I
    can't find an Energy Blue theme on that dialog and only see it on Effects.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 12, 2005
  9. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    If the current version happened to get installed, there should be a listing
    in Add or Remove Programs for "Microsoft Energy Blue Theme Pack." Each of
    the Experience Pack items has a separate installation listing in Add or
    Remove Programs.

    If it had been on the system before, it is one of the programs listed in the
    readme file to uninstall before installing the Experience Pack. Installing
    the Crossword Puzzle, Energy Blue Theme, Snipping Tool or Ink Art over the
    previous version will cause "issues."
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Apr 12, 2005
  10. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I never installed the Energy Blue Theme before the Experience Pack.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 12, 2005
  11. Mickey Segal

    misfut Guest

    Hey Mickey,

    I have experienced this problem as well. I was running the trial OneNote
    program to see if it would be useful, and if I left ink destop on (not turn
    it off and on before and after reboots), sidenote seemed to affect it. I
    uninstalled OneNote Trial, and the trouble went away.

    I also found, if i turned off ink desktop before shutdown, my Tablet would
    reboot fine. Then launch ink desktop with no problem. But, i didn't use
    OneNote, and did use Ink Desktop, so one had to go.

    I may try OneNote again, who knows what next update will bring, but that did
    seem to be my problem. What made me notice was the sidenote tray icon would
    not show up until the orange desktop cleared up. That was the only
    correlation of programs.

    Michael

    misfut, Apr 12, 2005
  12. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I uninstalled the old Crossword Puzzle, Snipping Tool and Art Rage and then
    uninstalled all components of the Experience Pack and reinstalled the
    Experience Pack (except for the Energy Blue theme) and I haven't seen the
    orange desktop yet despite several re-boots and having Ink Desktop active.

    In installing the Experience Pack I did not notice anything about a readme
    file warning me that I needed to uninstall anything before installing. If a
    warning is there it is not very obvious.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 12, 2005
  13. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    The warning isn't "obvious," but instead is contained in the readme.htm file
    in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Experience Pack. Obviously, we all located
    each and every readme file to see what it says before we install anything.
    :cool: It could have been made more much more apparent.

    Chris H., Apr 13, 2005
  14. About that orange screen...

    The orange screen appears when Ink Desktop is trying to refresh its display.
    You'll most often see it right when you boot and occasionally when you
    rotate the screen or change your screen resolution. It usually goes away
    quickly once Ink Desktop has finished loading, but sometimes you need to
    help it along. Hitting F5 (if the desktop has focus) or opening and closing
    the docked Input Panel will often do the trick. See the readme for more
    information (readme can be opened from Explore the Experience Pack > Home >
    Read more about the pack > View the Readme File).

    The orange color doesn't have anything to do with your current desktop
    settings. And, as far as I know, there's no way to change it to a different
    color.

    Victoria Kruse [MS], Apr 13, 2005
  15. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    The orange screen is back again. On my current re-boot it was up for 17
    seconds, ending when the Ink Desktop icon appeared. Does the duration of
    the orange depend on the sequencing of startup items? Sometimes the orange
    doesn't appear at all - is there some way to sequence startup items to avoid
    seeing the orange? It looks pretty tacky when you are booting up the
    computer to show something to someone and the screen turns some electric
    color.

    Few people will find the help files describing the known issues with the
    orange desktop.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 13, 2005
  16. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Mickey, I believe we've talked before, but which graphics drivers are you
    using? Have you tried reinstalling the latest ones again, and used Safe
    Mode for the process, since installing the Experience Pack? I'm just
    curious if that might kick the display in the tail for you.

    Chris H., Apr 13, 2005
  17. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I have Wacom serial pen tablet driver version 5.1.2600.2180. I'm not sure
    how to check whether than is current other than trying to update
    automatically.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 13, 2005
  18. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    That's not the graphics driver, Mickey. :cool: In Device Manager, my Wacom
    Penabled HID MiniDriver is listed as:
    Provider: Wacom
    Driver Date: 11/16/2004
    Driver Version: 2.3.0.0

    I've got a M200 on my lap right now, and for the Display adapter in Device
    Manager, it shows:
    NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M
    with:
    Provider: NVIDIA
    Driver Date: 4/15/2004
    Driver Version: 4.6.44

    Even if you have these showing, you can reinstall those drivers again in
    Safe Mode. It won't do any harm. In Safe Mode, only "generic" drivers are
    loaded, and the method of installing new (or the same, in case of
    corruption) ones has nothing to interfere with the installation (including
    no AV program running).

    Chris H., Apr 13, 2005
  19. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I have Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
    Driver Date: 4/15/2003
    Driver version 6.13.10.3510

    Mickey Segal, Apr 13, 2005
  20. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Okay, that's the original for the Motion 1300 (still the only one), although
    the 5-27-03 version on Motion's site is listed as 6.13.01.3510. You might
    try downloading that one fresh
    (www.motioncomputing.com/support/driver_download_1300.asp) and do a
    reinstall with the fresh download in Safe Mode.

    The 4.82-9a Wacom driver, updated last December, is available for download
    here: http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver.cfm .

    One of the reasons I recommend reinstalling the newer drivers (or
    reinstalling the only available ones) in Safe Mode is that XP SP2 make a
    huge amount of changes in the Registry when we updated to that, and not all
    drivers reacted properly after coming through the upgrade.

    Chris H., Apr 13, 2005