    the disk to exists, but without the ability to hook it up, I need to
    resorts to physical destruction?

    Thanks.

    slrn, Sep 20, 2004

  2. slrn

    Dave Uhring Guest

    Nail the drive to a post and use it as target practice for your AK-47.

    Dave Uhring, Sep 20, 2004

  3. slrn

    Dave Uhring Guest

    Windoze!! Not Linux.

    Dave Uhring, Sep 20, 2004
  4. slrn

    CJT Guest

    Take the cover off, throw in a liberal amount of sand, put the cover
    back on, and power it up.

    Then run over it with your truck.

    CJT, Sep 20, 2004
  5. slrn

    slrn Guest

    I have no handguns, semi-autos or WMD :) to destroy the drives.
    I thought about opening the drives to destroy the platters, but
    the screws are tough to loosen. (these are SCSI drives btw)

    slrn, Sep 20, 2004
  6. slrn

    Dave Uhring Guest

    Well, if the OP has no nails or AK-47 he could remove the platters from
    the drive and sand the rust off them. That should introduce a sufficient
    amount of entropy that data recovery would be impossible.

    Dave Uhring, Sep 20, 2004
  7. slrn

    Greg Andrews Guest

    Have it hung, electrocuted, shot, and drowned. Then chop it up into
    little bits, and then jump on them. And keep jumping until you get
    blisters, or you can think of something worse to do.

    Arthur Dent, Sysadmin

    Greg Andrews, Sep 20, 2004
  8. slrn

    Beardy Guest

    After a head crash, the only way to destroy the drive further is to
    install Linux on it.

    Beardy, Sep 20, 2004
  9. slrn

    Beardy Guest

    David, the OP said he could not hook up the drive. Nailing is pretty
    close ;-)

    Beardy, Sep 20, 2004
  10. slrn

    Dave Uhring Guest

    A Torx-8 driver is usually required. But if you lack one of those a big,
    hot bonfire would probably do the job. A 12 lb. sledgehammer would
    work also. A sharp cold chisel between the cover and housing will cut the
    screws.

    Use your imagination. Be destructive!

    Dave Uhring, Sep 20, 2004
  11. slrn

    J'm Sm'th Guest

    BFSH.

    Big Fat Steel Hammer.

    J'm Sm'th, Sep 20, 2004
  12. slrn

    Beardy Guest

    <OT>

    New series of Hitchhikers on BBC Radio 4 starting Tuesday this week at
    18:30 BST, repeated Thursday 23:00 BST. Starring many old cast-members
    plus the excellent Michael Fenton Stevens and the delightful Joanna Lumley.

    </OT>

    Beardy, Sep 20, 2004
  13. slrn

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    Just use what you have to get into the drives. Drilling a couple
    of holes through the platter pack will do pretty well.

    A hacksaw can be used to open.

    The standard trick is to drill off the screw tops. The Torx
    heads are nice - there are starter holes so the drill keeps
    on the screw.

    HTH

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

    Tauno Voipio, Sep 20, 2004
  14. AFAIK, burning the drive detaches the magnetic layer from the
    substrate, rendering it quite unreadable. So have a BBQ, and grill your
    data. Other idea would be to hook it up to a MIG/TIG welder, and put
    some real current through it.

    /Marcin

    Marcin Dobrucki, Sep 20, 2004
  15. slrn

    Chris Morgan Guest

    When I had my first security briefing for a UK defence project, I was
    told that all hard disks on the project were the property of the MoD
    and that once we were done with them they had to be shipped off to be
    disassembled and the platters had to be boiled in acid. That seems
    like it would take care of it.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, Sep 20, 2004
  16. slrn

    CJT Guest

    Especially if those were the days of aluminum (aluminium in the U.K.)
    platters.

    CJT, Sep 20, 2004
  17. slrn

    David Magda Guest

    If the OP wants to do a Google search, he can probably find "The
    Anarchist's Cookbook" (or some such) that has 'recipes' for various
    incendiary concoctions.

    Though it should probably be noted that the local law enforcement
    officers may be entirely pleased in these methods of 'secure
    deletion'. :>

    David Magda, Sep 20, 2004
  18. slrn

    Dave Uhring Guest

    I still like the idea of using the drive as target practice. But to be
    certain of destruction tossing the drive onto the feed conveyor of a
    blast furnace would also be quite effective. Heck, the magnetic media
    would then produce a few milligrams of pig iron :)

    Dave Uhring, Sep 20, 2004
  19. slrn

    slrn Guest

    Thank you all for your creative suggestions. However, I have a drill
    (and a steel drilling bit) and decided to drill a hole in the drive,
    pour salt (epsom, and tape the hole), plug-in the drive for a few
    minutes. Next, I pour some water in the hole, re-plug it, tossed the
    HDs into the river (I figured if this river is good enough for the mob
    to dumped their evidences, it's good enough for my HDs/data). Besides
    my HDs would sink to the bottom and not float after a while :)

    The data is nothing malicious, just username/password/SS#/etc. and I
    hate for someone to tinker with the bad drives and retrieve the info.

    slrn, Sep 21, 2004
  20. Just so long as the "cook" keeps in mind that some of those
    concoctions are more dangerous to the cook than the misbehaving hard
    disk...

    Trying to type with a hook instead of fingers might be a tad
    difficult. Arrr!

    James

    I R A Darth Aggie, Sep 21, 2004