Detecting laptop battery status... at BIOS and OS level?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Sun_user, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Sun_user

    Sun_user Guest

    I am trying to squeeze some more longevity out of my Compaq Presario
    1600i (no, the Smithsonian isn't asking for it) but I am having a
    curious problem:

    * The battery gets and keeps a full charge, and can run about 2 hours,
    which is normal.
    * The OS (previously Windows 2000 Pro, now Windows XP Pro, cleanly
    installed) constantly thinks that the battery is about to die, and:
    * if Advanced Power Management is on, it tries to shut down or
    hibernate
    * if APM is off, it constantly beeps. (Note: This is not a Control
    Panel->Sound setting - is it the BIOS beeping?

    Anyway, I don't want to spend $100 to replace the battery, and I guess
    I could get by with the speaker muted, but can anyone help me
    understand:

    * Is battery power detection peformed at the level of the BIOS, OS, or
    both?
    * Is there any way to get Windows to stop beeping even if it thinks
    the battery is low?
    * Any way to 'rejuvenate' an aging battery, e.g. clean the contacts,
    etc?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Sun_user, Nov 9, 2004