    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008

  2. A lot depends on how old the computer is. Recent models have it
    installed at the factory. Also, anyone who has an airport extreme
    should have the enabler on the CD that shipped with the unit.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 21, 2008

  3. Dave Fritzinger

    Timberwoof Guest

    Steve, I got sidetracked by your deflection of my story. But now I
    remember what it was all about. How would you use that fancy IBM or MS
    system to set up wireless access for a wide variety of notebooks with
    hardware and drivers from different manufacturers, each of which require
    their own updates and different procedures for connecting to the local
    WAP?

    Timberwoof, Mar 21, 2008
  4. Dave Fritzinger

    Timberwoof Guest

    Three thousand company-wide applications? Something doesn't add up. Each
    app had, on average, about 300 users.

    Well, I suppose that if everyone in the company has the same job, your
    approach is worthwhile.

    Timberwoof, Mar 21, 2008
  5. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    No. This was the second option I presented. At least make a passing
    attempt at honesty.

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  6. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    That doesn't mean the apps have to be locked into a single platform.
    Java apps, for instance.

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  7. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    So then you admit that I presented more than Apple Software Update
    Server (which can be modified to host non-Apple software, btw). Well
    that's a start.

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  8. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    IT can and should push back. Does engineering not push back when an
    executive proposes making a change to a product that isn't feasible?

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  9. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    I'm sorry, Steve, but that is complete and utter bullshit. If a
    corporation is large enough, they could certify that the "hack" worked
    for their purposes.

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  10. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    Complete and utter nonsense. Any corporation that writes its own
    software runs "a configuration that the vendor will not support".
    It didn't preclude them from being run in days past.

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  11. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    So you just draw an arbitrary line, do you? "We can write our own
    software, but we must never modify an OS tool to get what we want done."
    You're missing the point. This -- alas -- is not new.

    Alan Baker, Mar 21, 2008
  12. Dave Fritzinger

    Timberwoof Guest

    How did we get from the nightmare of setting up wireless for a dozen
    users with nonstandard Windows laptops to a corporation with more than a
    hundred thousand asses?

    Timberwoof, Mar 22, 2008
  13. Lessee..I've got a wireless network at the house. I've had at least a
    dozen friends bring their laptops over running variuos versions of
    Windows, MacOS and even Linux. None of them had any troubles
    connecting. If its really a 'nightmare' for you maybe you're just in
    the wrong line of work.

    Mayor of R'lyeh, Mar 22, 2008
  14. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    You can't? Then you really know nothing.

    Both of my parents were mainframe programmers who worked (at one time or
    another) for large corporations. Corporations write their own software.

    Alan Baker, Mar 22, 2008
  15. Every major financial services company, for one.

    Patrick Nihill, Mar 22, 2008
  16. Dave Fritzinger

    Timberwoof Guest

    Your friends are geeks and smarter than you. I had lawyers, sales guys,
    marketeers, and business people to deal with.

    Timberwoof, Mar 22, 2008
  17. Maybe, but I'm better looking.
    My condolences.

    Mayor of R'lyeh, Mar 22, 2008
  18. Oh, of course, they don't use *only* software they write internally. But
    they write huge amounts of their own.

    Patrick Nihill, Mar 22, 2008
  19. Dave Fritzinger

    Alan Baker Guest

    No. They are a rebuttal of the idea that large corporations don't write
    their own software.
    You think large companies don't use mainframes today? They don't
    integrate their mainframe apps and data with desktop PCs?

    Alan Baker, Mar 22, 2008
  20. Er, I can only go by what you say, and you said nothing of what *kind* of
    software,
    just that non-software companies didn't write their own.

    And I *was* talking about the software that is at the core of their
    operations.

    Patrick Nihill, Mar 22, 2008