'/dev/thinkpad/thinkpad or /dev/thinkpad doesn't exist'

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by zinces, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. zinces

    zinces Guest

    Hi, all

    I have installed SuSE 10 on my new T43 2668. But when I try to
    configure settings using 'Configure ThinkPad' in GNOME desktop, system
    reports

    '/dev/thinkpad/thinkpad or /dev/thinkpad doesn't exist'

    BTW, I have man the 'thinkpad' module, man page says it is an module.
    But I can not load it, can anyone tell me how to load this module?

    Thanks

    iamsolo

    zinces, Dec 28, 2005

  2. zinces

    Phil Sherman Guest

    Module is the term usually given to Linux kernel extensions. They are
    merged into the kernel using the "insmod" command, and should be
    performed by the root user.

    Installation procedures for modules usually include adding a line to one
    of the initializaion scripts in /etc or its subdirectories. The module
    will then be loaded during system initialization.

    You can try using the "lsmod" command and see if the module has been
    loaded. From the error you are receiving, I'd suspect that the module
    creates the device "thinkpad" under /dev. If it's not loaded, then use
    "lsmod" to load it and recheck that its loaded. Modules are very kernel
    specific and usually have to be an exact match to the kernel you are
    running. This could cause issues if SUSE maintenance ends up giving you
    a kernel upgrade.

    I can't offer any other ideas specific to SUSE because I'm using RHEL4
    on my T40.

    Phil Sherman, Dec 28, 2005