Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by max, Jan 5, 2009.

  1. max

    max Guest

    Hi,

    I am developing an application for Radisys Promentum Baseband card
    which features a Intel® IXP2350 network processor. This card runs on
    MontaVista carrier grade linux professional 3.1. I compiled my source
    using RedHat Fedora, RedHat Enterprize 4 etc. To test the code I used
    RPC mechanism with the card. So far it is runs well.

    But, now I want the code to be run from the card. Since MontaVista
    license is very costly I amd trying to avoid it. I also heard about
    another carrier grade Linux called Wind River which is also costly.

    Now I just want to write the binary which is compiled in RedHat Fedora
    into the baseband card running on MontaVista. Will there be any
    problem if I do that? Is there any open source free carrier grade
    Linux distribution compatible with MontaVista? Is there any free or
    low cost tools to develop application for MontaVista from any free
    linux distribution?

    I appreciate your help and Thank you in advance.

    Regards.
    max

    max, Jan 5, 2009

  2. max

    CBFalconer Guest

    Something is very wrong. No Linux is 'expensive'. All are
    released under the GPL license, which insists that all source code
    be available, and that no restrictions can be put on revisions.

    The only things that can be restricted are independent
    applications. Since they cannot be integrateed, this does not
    affect the license for Linux. It remains free.

    CBFalconer, Jan 5, 2009

  3. max

    Michael Mol Guest

    He didn't say Linux was expensive, he said that licenses for the
    MontaVista and Wind River distros were expensive. Which it may be, if
    it includes support, uptime guarantees, proprietary management tools
    or even trademarked images. (I have not used or researched either
    personally, however.)

    Michael Mol, Jan 6, 2009
  4. max

    Michael Mol Guest

    There may be, if the shared libraries you tested against are of a
    different version than the ones on your target system, or if those
    libraries were compiled with a different compiler and/or version of
    the compiler than you used.

    If you statically linked against libraries such as libc, you may have
    problems if the kernel on the target system is of a different version
    than your compilation system or if that kernel was compiled with a
    different compiler and/or version of the compiler than you used.

    Or you may be lucky, and none of the potential issues listed above
    would arise. But if you're targeting "carrier grade" systems, I
    wouldn't depend on luck.

    IMO, your best bet to deal with those problems is to use the vendor's
    SDK, if they provide one, or to build on the target system.

    Michael Mol, Jan 6, 2009
  5. max

    max Guest

    Sorry, I am late to reply.

    The board comes with Intel® IXP2350 network processor. I have SDK for
    that network processor. Can I use that SDK? I tried on previous
    occassion without any success.

    Specifically, I need to know if any binary that runs on redhat
    enterprize or other distros can run without any modification in
    MontaVista. If not is there any free or low cost workbench to do that?

    Thanks.

    max, Jan 7, 2009
  6. max

    Michael Mol Guest

    I don't know. I don't have experience with that board, processor or
    SDK.
    It's not safe to assume so, for the reasons I outlined. If you can't
    verify that another distro uses the same compiler, compiler version,
    kernel version and version of all relevant libraries as the version of
    the MontaVista distro you're targeting, then you should be aware that
    you may run into incompatibilities that will cause obvious or subtle
    bugs. From your desire to target carrier-grade systems, I wouldn't
    expect such a possibility to be acceptable.
    If you're lucky, there may be a Free equivalent of MontaVista you
    could develop on, along the same lines as CentOS relates to RHEL. I
    don't know if such a thing exists for any distro appropriate to your
    needs. I would still strongly recommend testing on your target OS,
    however. You might also try contacting the company behind the distros
    you're interested in, and see if they offer a developer discount or
    loan; Some companies that sell high-priced hardware and software will
    loan demonstration models for development purposes.

    Michael Mol, Jan 7, 2009
  7. What exactly did you try?
    IXP2350 is an Xscale CPU, which is ARMv5 architecture.
    So, no, i386 linux binaries won't run.
    Your minimal set of tools will be a compiler/binutils/libs/headers for
    that architecture. This could well be a cross compiler running on a
    standard i386 linux box.

    Regards,

    Arthur

    Arthur Erhardt, Jan 7, 2009
  8. What opsys this ARM/XScale? card has?
    So the card is installed on a x86? system which has this Linux?
    A x86 application made in Fedora etc. seems to work in MontaVista
    too and there to communicate OK with the Radisys card?
    Two totally separate problems seem to be mixed here :

    1. Producing code elsewhere for the MontaVista Linux host

    2. Producing code elsewhere for the Radisys baseband card

    Both should be quite usual cross-compiling tasks and
    when one has an access for both 'targets', their
    current installed stuff, these tasks should be rather
    easy (for anyone with the required know-how).

    So I think you would need :

    1. a crosstoolchain for that MontaVista Linux

    2. a crosstoolchain for that Radisys card

    Both hosted on your chosen Fedora

    Willem van der Ruuppendorff, Jan 7, 2009
  9. Michael Schnell, Jan 31, 2009