devfsadm doesn't see newly installed disks in D1000

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Paul, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi group

    I'm desperate for help and I'm hoping a guru is out there waiting to help.

    I have just installed 4 new hard disks into an existing D1000 but Solaris
    cannot see them. They are visible to the OBP when running a probe-scsi-all
    :

    /[email protected],700000/[email protected]
    Target 0
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336704LSUN36G 032C
    Target 1
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336704LSUN36G 032C
    Target 2
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336704LSUN36G 0326
    Target 3
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336607LSUN36G 0307
    Target 4
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336607LSUN36G 0307
    Target 8
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336704LSUN36G 032C
    Target 9
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336704LSUN36G 032C
    Target a
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336704LSUN36G 0326
    Target b
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336607LSUN36G 0307
    Target c
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336607LSUN36G 0307
    Target e
    Unit 0 Processor SYMBIOS D1000 2
    Target f
    Unit 0 Processor SYMBIOS D1000 2

    (The new disks all have the 0307 firmware)

    But whenever I run a devfsadm, touch reconfigure boot or a boot -- -r they
    are never visible to format, only the original disks in the D1000 and the 2
    internal root disks.

    I'm now starting to run out of ideas of what to try, there is nothing to
    change in /kernel/drv/sd.conf as these targets are already defined by
    default.

    I have done a boot net -s off of my jumpstart server and the disks are
    immediately visible to format but not through the OS on the root disk. So I
    believe the problem is with the OS rather than being a hardware fault.

    Can anyone give me some other places to look?? I've searched sunsolve and
    net to no avail.

    Thanks in advance, Paul.

    Paul, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Are you running devfsadm -C ?
    what does luxadm probe return ?

    Rodrick Brown, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Paul

    Ron Rodan Guest

    Try running:
    devlinks
    disks

    Ron Rodan, Jul 29, 2003
  4. Paul

    Andrew Kam Guest

    Good morning all!

    Post your technical queries to if you are based in
    the Asia Pacific region (including Australia and New Zealand). This is the
    Technical Support area. They should be able to point you in the right
    direction.

    However, unless you have a Cobalt machine - all other hardware and software
    support requires you to have a valid maintenance contract number with Sun.
    If you don't have one, be prepared to pay for time and materials costs.

    Best regards
    Andrew

    Andrew Kam, Aug 4, 2003