Device manager Unknown Device & PCI Device (yellow warning)

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Alora Duncan, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Alora  Duncan

    Alora Duncan Guest

    This weekend, on my portable PC, the Windows "Device Manager" listed the
    following devices with a yellow exclamation point:

    - Other Devices
    - PCI Device
    - Unknown Device
    SOLVING UNKNOWN DEVICE:
    Doubleclicking on "Unknown Device" brought up the Win2K device
    troubleshooter where I pressed the "Driver" tab and then the
    "Update Driver..." button.

    This brought up the Win2K "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard".

    While connected to the Internet, telling that wizard to search
    for driver files in the following locations:
    [x]Microsoft Windows Update
    found the drivers on the Internet & installed them.

    Afterward, the "Device Manager" moved that previously "Unknown Device"
    to the "System devices" section of the "Device Manager":
    - System devices
    IBM PM Device

    If you doubleclick on that "IBM PM Device", you get:
    General:
    IBM PM Device
    Device type: System devices
    Manufacturer: IBM
    Location: on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller Driver:
    IBM PM Device
    Driver Date: 12/19/2003
    Driver Version: 1.25.1.0
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
    Driver Details ...
    Driver files:
    C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\ibmpmdrv.sys
    C:\WINNT\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\tpinspm.dll
    Provider: IBM Corp.
    File version: 1.25

    The "Unknown Device" problem no longer exists.
    SOLVING PCI DEVICE:
    The Win2K "Device Manager" still listed the following devices with a yellow
    exclamation point:

    - Other Devices
    - PCI Device
    I downloaded the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" version
    5.00.1012 from the following location:
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/
    By pressing the button titled "Get the latest driver" which downloaded:
    "INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE] (1428KB) version 5.1.1.1002 12/12/2003
    This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to
    properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB & AGP."

    For more information, see:
    http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm

    Now when I click on the Win2K:
    Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->
    - System Devices
    Intel(R) 845 Chipset Processor to I/O Controller - 1A30
    Intel(R) 845 Chipset Processor to AGP Controller - 1A31

    I no longer see any devices with exclamation points!

    Note: According to the Intel site:
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/install.htm

    The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility is the first driver
    to install. If it is required for your system, it should be installed
    immediately after installing your operating system and any operating
    system service packs.

    The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility files inform the operating
    system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality,
    such as AGP, USB, Core PCI, and ISA PnP services. In order to be able to
    install any chipset-related drivers (e.g. graphics, IDE, etc.), your
    operating system must first be able to recognize your chipset.

    If your chipset was released after the operating system you are using
    was released, then it is likely that your operating system is not able
    to natively detect your chipset. Refer to the "Determining if the Intel
    Chipset Software Installation is required" page to determine if your
    operating system requires installation of the Intel Chipset Software
    Installation Utility for your particular chipset. If it does, immediately
    after installing your operating system (but before installing any other
    device drivers), it is necessary to install the Intel Chipset Software
    Installation Utility. Once the Intel Chipset Software Installation
    Utility has been installed, all of your remaining Intel chipset-related
    device drivers should install correctly.

    Alora Duncan, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Alora  Duncan

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware is a XP hardware support newsgroup.
    Please do not cross-post with Windows 2000 question, for the solution may be
    different.

    Yves Leclerc, Feb 2, 2004