    porperly put when i try it use all i get is a device not working
    error.

    help.

    e, Aug 19, 2004

  2. e

    Jim Phelps Guest

    Hi e, Device Manager is only reporting that the CD Reader in the
    burner is working properly. Does it read CDs? What OS are you using?
    You will have to load a burner program, Nero or Roxio/Adaptec etc. To
    get the burner going. Xp does have built in burner support. Luck, Jim

    Jim Phelps, Aug 19, 2004

  3. e

    e Guest

    iam running win 98. the device manager says it was working propely.
    and it does not read normal cds, i have installed the software that
    came with it.

    thanks
    erik

    e, Aug 22, 2004
  4. What kind of CDs are you trying to read? What software came with it?
    Is this something you bought new?

    What about the rest of your system - what are the specs? Processor
    speed, RAM etc.

    Looking at the box the CD-burner came with or at the software - what
    are the specs required by the CD-burner and bundled software?

    Anonymous Jack, Aug 23, 2004
  5. e

    e Guest

    I was trying to burn a cd. I took it from a computer of mine that
    broke. the cd burner is about 2 years old. The system I am currently
    running it on has a 733 mhz p3 128mb ram. Which is a lot faster than
    the computer i orignally took it out of. The software is nero.

    e, Aug 24, 2004
  6. OK, your specs should be fine.

    Do you get the "device not ready" error when you try and read any CD,
    or only when you are trying to burn? Can you read any other CDs
    (music CDs, data CDs etc)?

    When you expand your CDRW in Device Manager, do you see your specific
    CDRW model listed? Is it the only device on the cable? How does it
    show up in BIOS?
    Is the audio/sound cord plugged in the right mobo slot (analog vs
    digital)?

    Anonymous Jack, Aug 24, 2004
  7. e

    e Guest

    I get the device not ready when reading any cd. it is on the cable
    with another cd drive. Their is no audio cable pluged in to it because
    they are plugged in to my first cd drive.

    Iam not sure how the bios see's it. And the specfic cdrw model.
    Because it is on a client computer and it will be a couple days before
    I work on it again.

    e, Aug 25, 2004
  8. When you get back to it, double check the jumpers to make sure they
    are set up properly as master/slave (confirm in BIOS) or try as cable
    select if the mobo supports it. Can you read from the other cd drive?

    Oh yeah, the computer would really benefit from another 128mb of RAM
    :)
    256mb if they can swing a few extra bucks (PC133 prices have gone up
    quite a bit - used to be $20 US for 256mb when I loaded up)

    Anonymous Jack, Aug 25, 2004
  9. e

    e Guest

    Were did you see ram so cheap. I will check the bios and jumpers.

    Thanks
    Erik

    e, Aug 27, 2004
  10. It was probably 3~4 years ago. PC100/PC133 got really cheap, just
    before PC2100 prices started dropping. So everytime it went on sale
    (usually around $40 with a $20 rebate) I would buy a stick. EBay is
    probably the best bet for cheap PC133 these days, as prices have shot
    up once the glut disappeared.

    Heck, 64mb EDO for laptops is up to around $20 these days, and 256mb
    PC100 is at around $50~$75.

    Anonymous Jack, Aug 27, 2004