    Anyone have any ideas why this would happen. Both a digital camera and mp3
    player have caused problems when plugged into usb port.

    rq

    RQ, Apr 18, 2005

  2. RQ

    Paul Guest

    More details please - motherboard brand and model...

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 19, 2005

  3. RQ

    RQ Guest

    Sorry,

    P5P800 Asus

    RQ, Apr 19, 2005
  4. RQ

    Paul Guest

    There are currently problems with any brand/model of motherboard
    that uses ICH4, ICH5, or ICH5R. The USB ports seem to be sensitive
    to static electricity. If that was your problem, the motherboard
    would likely be dead right now. What seems to happen, is you plug
    a USB device into the computer while it is running, and instantly
    the computer is non-responsive. If you shut off power to the
    computer, and feel the Southbridge, you would get burned by the
    intense heat. At that point, the motherboard would have to be
    returned under warranty, as it likely won't boot any more.

    If your USB front ports are instead destroying the devices you
    plug into those front ports, I would suspect a wiring error when
    you assembled the case. Be aware that certain brands of computer
    cases, have had wiring errors. Antec has quite a few wiring errors
    to their credit. I recommend using a multimeter, set to the ohms
    ranges, to verify the name printed on each wire, corresponds to
    the correct pin on the USB connector.

    Due to the sheer number of wiring errors out there, if you don't
    know how to use a multimeter, then simply do not wire up the
    front panel wiring, and just leave it dangling. On my last Antec
    case (Sonata), rather than waste time checking their wiring
    yet again, I simply ripped the front panel assembly out, so
    the three cables wouldn't be hanging down taunting me. Now,
    undoubtedly, there was nothing wrong with the cables, but I'm
    just sick of having to test their stuff. I am not an unpaid
    quality assurance guy for Antec - I expect them to do that
    for themselves.

    You might also want to look at the "J.Botelis" thread next to
    this one, for more comments.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 19, 2005
  5. RQ

    General Mail Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm in this situation. A connected device on the front USB seems to have
    cooked my ASUS P5P800. The only life is a flashing green led on the
    motherboard. Which is usually solid.

    My question is has anyone ever sent a board back under warranty or service
    to ASUS and gotten any satisfactory results?

    Brent.

    General Mail, Apr 20, 2005
  6. RQ

    Roadhair Guest

    My P4P800 Dlx was received by ASUS on friday and I'm still awaiting an
    outcome. Burned it by hot plugging my scanner into the front USB port.

    RH

    Roadhair, Apr 20, 2005
  7. Brent,
    Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
    DC)!
    Well, my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v1.04 was DOA. I got it exchanged and what came
    back was the same except it was a v2.0. Life with it has been utterly boring
    ever since. No screaming, pulling out of hair and the like.
    Peace,
    Paul
    <snipped>

    Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr., Apr 26, 2005