    Rebooting seems to fix the problems. Could this be an issue with the Vdd?
    Should I try increasing it a bit.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Sep 16, 2004

  2. There is one other symptom that I forgot to mention. When I restart windoze
    XP Pro, it says shutting down network connections and the harddrive light
    seems to flicker indefinitely.

    Thanks,

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Peter Harrington

    Chip Guest

    I have one of these boards and a similar CPU. Whilst it has some "quirks",
    the network connections have been completely rock solid. And I haven't seen
    many (any?) ethernet problems for this board reported on the various forums
    either.

    I guess there's lots of things you *could* try - like updating the bios,
    larger heatsink on the Southbridge, update the nVidia drivers, mess with
    voltages etc. But I have no reason to believe any of this will specifically
    fix your problem.

    What's the ethernet port plugged into? A router, maybe? Are you sure that
    component is not playing up?

    Regarding the constant "ticking" of the hard disk led (if that's what you
    mean), that's completely normal. Its something in Windows XP that does it,
    not sure what exactly.

    Chip

    Chip, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Thanks Chip. I have two systems on the same router, so I only have this
    problem with this one computer, but I could try switching cables. I ran
    Prime95 overnight just to make sure and it ran fine.

    As for drivers. The latest NF2 driver set is 2.45 at the DFI download page,
    but I could not find a way to find the version number of the ones installed.
    I can version numbers for each device, but they do not correspond to the
    install pack at the DFI site.

    Also, the latest DFI BIOS is only for the Sempron or does it have over
    modifications for smoother behavior?

    BTW, I am on the 6/19/04 BIOS and I could not get this system to run stable
    at 2.2 GHz until, I updated.

    Thanks,

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Peter Harrington

    Chip Guest

    I would certainly do that.
    The latese nVidia drivers are 4.27. 2.45's are probably 1 year old now, so
    I would certainly update those. There were quite a few problems with
    earlier nVidia drivers too (like I had my USB ports disappearing on me with
    version 2.xx), so this is certainly a possible suspect for your problem.
    I don't think so. You should be OK with 6/19/04. And apart from anything
    else, a bios update should be considered a measure of last resort (unless
    you have Bios Saviour). Corrupted bioses are *way* too common on these
    boards to go fiddling about with the bios unless you really have to.

    Chip, Sep 16, 2004
  6. Peter Harrington

    Tim Guest

    I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try ...

    (taken from MS site)
    You can use Device Manager to change the power management settings for a
    network adapter. To disable this setting in Device Manager, expand Network
    Adapters, right-click the adapter, click Properties, click the Power
    Management tab, and then clear the "Allow the computer to turn off this
    device to save power" check box.

    Tim, Sep 16, 2004
  7. Hi Tim:

    Thanks, the checkbox was clicked and I have a good feeling that this tip
    (fingers crossed) will solve the problem.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Thanks, Chip!!!

    I kind of thought that I ought to check out the Nvidia site. I will have to
    send the tech guys a not at DFI about updating their web site. I guess
    RadarSync and Windoze Update are WPoS when it comes to updating drivers.

    I hope this too (updating the NF2 drivers) will solve the problem and
    improve the stability of my system.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Peter Harrington

    Chip Guest

    I don't mean to dash your hopes, but this checkbox is ticked by default and
    it doesn't normally cause anyone a problem, so I very much doubt this is
    what's troubling you. Apart from anything else, this check box only affects
    what XP does to the network connection **when XP is going into suspend mode,
    or hibernating**. It would not explain why your network connection was
    being dropped in normal use.

    Chip

    Chip, Sep 17, 2004
  10. Peter Harrington

    Tim Guest

    Just yesterday I starting having a problem with "disconnected network"
    prompts from XP Pro. I fixed it (fingers crossed) by changing my Ethernet
    speed value from "Auto-detect" to its manual setting. Might be worth trying

    Step 1 Go to Start> Control Panel > and select Network connections.

    Step 2 Right click on your network card (for 2000 and XP only)and select
    Properties.

    Step 3 Select the Configure button.

    Step 4 Under the Advanced tab you will see two boxes; Property and Value.

    Note: Depending on the type of Ethernet card you are using the headings in
    the Property box will be slightly different.

    Step 5 Select each heading in the Properties box until the Value box
    displays the speed of your Ethernet card (it will look like this:
    Auto-Detect, 10Mb Full, 100 MB Half, etc..). Set it for the speed
    appropriate for your hardware. I set mine for10mb Full Duplex (I'm using the
    built-in gigabit LAN of my Intel mobo with a D-Link 604 router, which
    connects to a Motorola CableModem).

    Step 6 Keep clicking OK until you get to the desktop. Your computer may ask
    you to reboot depending on the version of Windows you are running.

    Tim, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Peter Harrington

    Tim Guest

    Assuming, of course, your other solutions don't help.

    Tim, Sep 17, 2004