    Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly for
    a newb that would be very helpful.
    TIA

    lonesw0rdsman, Nov 5, 2004

  2. lonesw0rdsman

    borolad Guest

    oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
    less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C

    Both excellent MOBO's the DFI is less forgiving

    BoroLad

    borolad, Nov 5, 2004

  3. lonesw0rdsman

    Geoff Guest

    the DFI one looks silly too :)
    also consider abit AN7, basicly the NF7, but with optical in as well as out,
    and updated chips in general

    Geoff, Nov 5, 2004
  4. The NF7 would definately be the "more oc friendly" board. The DFI board is a
    screamer when/if you get it going at top speed, but you'll need good ram, a
    bit of luck, and a lot of patience to get it there. Not really the sort of
    thing you'd want to meet on your first excursion unless you like to learn by
    jumping in the deep end :)

    Michael Brown, Nov 5, 2004
  5. lonesw0rdsman

    Chip Guest

    Having owned both boards, I can say the advice above is 100% correct.

    In actual fact the DFI board is not a particularly good overclocker. What I
    mean by this is if you want to reach the highest possible CPU MHz, the DFI
    is OK but the nf7-s is better. What the DFI board *can* do is reach insane
    FSB speeds - pushing 300MHz (600MHz DDR). But like the man says, its can be
    an infuriating board to get it working right. Not one for a first attempt!

    Oh, and the sata raid implementation is Fubar on the DFI board as well.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 5, 2004
  6. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.
    Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
    So the DFI wins here.
    The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best from
    memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also because of
    the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on the Abit).
    The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
    Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)

    Scumball, Nov 5, 2004
  7. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES even consider the AN7 - it's the biggest heapashi'ite
    on the market.
    Won't overclock for toffee.
    It's a well-documented DOG.
    Check out members' opinions at PCPerspective (80,000 members can't be wrong
    !).

    basicly the NF7, but with optical in as well as out,

    Scumball, Nov 5, 2004
  8. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    Tosh.
    It's just as easy to o/c as any other board - including the Abit.
    Apart from which, overclocking ain't rocketscience and there are gazillions
    of great o/c'ing guides out there.

    Scumball, Nov 5, 2004
  9. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    I've owned many NF7-S's and a clutch of DFI Infinities - and the DFI wins
    hands down, every time.

    Only VERY marginally, because of the slightly higher v-cores available (up
    to 2.3v rather than 2.0v).
    But few chips will run happily beyond 2.15v-core and still fewer owners will
    want to run them beyond 2.0v anyway.
    The difference in practical terms is about 20 MHz lower max o/c on the DFI.

    What the DFI board *can* do is reach insane
    Well, up to 265 FSB.
    Reports of 285+ are questionable.

    But like the man says, its can be
    Yes it is - overclocking is overclocking.
    This was also true for the Abit NF7-S when it first appeared - but just as
    was the case for that, subsequent BIOS revisions have addressed the problem.
    Anyway, if it's high clocks you're interested in - you won't be going RAID.
    RAID is a mug's game at the best of times.

    Scumball, Nov 5, 2004
  10. lonesw0rdsman

    Hamman Guest

    Currently runnig a DFI Infinity nF2 Ultra with an old 2200+, and i shows a
    great improvment over the VIA board it replaced.

    The Infinity is identical to the Lan Party boards, but without all the
    glowing stuff ad the internal power / reset swiches.

    hamman

    Hamman, Nov 5, 2004
  11. lonesw0rdsman

    borolad Guest

    Gerraway, bloody hell, mobiles are unlocked - well I never !
    Gerraway, bloody hell, ' SoundStorm ', ( now bought by Creative Labs -
    so that will be the end of this excellent chip ! ) is poor is it -
    well I never !

    The AC'97 on the DFI is better than ' SoundStorm ', and you claim to
    have owned / built both boards. Mister Scumball you are a liar - or
    totally and absolutely clinically deaf.

    Which is it ?
    Again you talk absolute rubbish, I've built hundreds of NF7-S v2.0
    MOBO's and never a problem with any of them. Additionally I've never
    heard or read of any BIOS failures with this MOBO.

    I stand by what I said, the O/P is a ' newbie ', the DFI BIOS is far
    too aggressive, and your advice to a newbie is bad.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Nov 5, 2004
  12. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    Wow, you knock a crock full of shit into a cocked hat !

    So why your comment "lower FSB=lower O/C" pray ?

    The guy's gunna be using the analogue output, which if had a clue what you
    were talking about - you'd know is inferior on the Abit.

    This merely confirms what I suspect when I read the first pile of garbage
    you wrote - you've little o/c'ing experience.
    Read up the well-document issue of NF2 BIOS corruption and then get a little
    education on o/c'ing.
    But hey, I think I guessed it ... you run your system at 11 x 200 FSB right
    ?
    Overclocker .... yeah right !
    It's just so annoying when dickheads like you are allowed to spout shi'ite
    over hapless newbies.
    Get a clue ... if you can !

    Scumball, Nov 5, 2004
  13. lonesw0rdsman

    Dave Guest

    Spare BIOS chip, why?

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 6, 2004
  14. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    Go to PCPerspective and find out.

    Scumball, Nov 6, 2004
  15. lonesw0rdsman

    Chip Guest

    I got confused a little reading this. Then I realized that Scumball is such
    a complete wanker that he's already in my blocked-senders list (he's only 1
    of 2 people in there), so I didn't have to endure his pathetic rantings. I
    seem to remember he's a hopeless DFI fanboy incapable of coherent thought.
    Just ignore him.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 6, 2004
  16. lonesw0rdsman

    borolad Guest

    I have Chip, the correction was for the benefit of the [ lonesw0rdman
    newbie ] O/P not Scumball whose adjacent but not necessarily connected
    baincells leads him to walk hand in hand with himself through the
    USENET portals beset by a whole range of discontents and confusions.

    Redemption was offered but he chose not to respond with anything other
    than his own corrosive central conceit that he is right, I'll always
    go the xtra mile to protect a ' newbie ' - and Scumball needs to
    re-serve his apprenticeship.

    I'll resist talking a pig into a ham sandwich and let the
    AC97/Soundstorm issue with Scumball go.
    BoroLad

    To lonesw0rdman, for your first O/C adventure get a:
    - (1) NF7-S v2.0 with a nForce2 MCP2-T SoundStorm chip
    - (2) x2 [ not a matched pair ] of PC3200
    - (3) ATHLON XP-M 2500+

    (1)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Abit.html
    (2)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Crucial_Value.html
    (3)
    http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=392

    Set user define 11x200, ignore the ' unknown CPU ', test, and when
    your happily stable come back here for more on your O/C adventure.

    borolad, Nov 6, 2004
  17. lonesw0rdsman

    Scumball Guest

    Then I suggest you read BoroMoron's first response again - in particular,
    the part where he says "lower FSB=lower O/C" ... ie - he thought that mobile
    Athlons were multiplier-locked (since o/c'ing is only possible via
    multiplier or FSB).
    But instead of just admitting that he phucked up, he gets outraged at being
    exposed as a dork when someone points out that they're unlocked.
    He then goes on to compound his arrogance by proceeding to expound the sort
    of crap about these boards which shows that his claims to have built
    hundreds of Abit and DFI systems are utter, utter garbage.
    Who does that make the wanker ?
    It also reveals Chip the Shit to be a brown-nosing ignoranus of equal
    magnitude.
    The prosecution rests its case, m'lud !

    Scumball, Nov 6, 2004
  18. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Im going with the Nf7-S :)

    lonesw0rdsman, Nov 6, 2004
  19. lonesw0rdsman

    borolad Guest

    I suggest you read some of my previous postings on this subject over
    the last few years, once again your making creative not factual
    assumptions. Previous posts are still in there - if you can't find
    them just ask I'll be pleased to post them up for all to read.

    All AMDAthlonXP-M's are, have always been, and hopefully will continue
    to be unlocked forever - otherwise they will not be able to use the
    powernow feature. Now I thought everyone in the whole big round
    wide world knew that - why would you think I would not know such very
    old basic info ?
    See above

    Oh ! and though articulated repetition can be a powerful tectonic
    weapon, clearly not in your case - you see, you are clearly a few
    trees short of a rainforest and whatever little intellect you have is
    functionally redundant when it comes to repeating yourself with this
    witless hyperboly.
    Again a futile attempt at embracery, you have substantially
    misrepresented me in your hopelessly floundering attempt to keep alive
    this notion that you are the only one in the world that knows XP-M's
    are unlocked - you really are insulated from the laws of intellectual
    evolution.

    I said hundreds of Abit NF7-S v2.0, [ not DFi ] you remember the type
    of MOBO you said had an issue BIOS corruption, it does not, you should
    visit the Abit group and ask that excellent community how many failed
    BIOS's on that MOBO. Most of the old hands there are considerably more
    than very competent and have been making a contribution to that group
    for more than 10 years to my knowledge.

    While we are on the subject of sound, which we were not. Are you still
    of the opinion that AC97 is better than ' SoundStorm ' ?

    May I refer you to the URL posted by me for the O/P, here if you can
    get both your brain cells working in unison you will clearly see right
    on the top banner in 1/2" high [ on my Sony Trinitron ] cant miss big
    writing " AMD ATHLON XP-M 2500+ SKT-A OEM BARTON (Mobile)Unlocked" go
    on Mr Scumball read it, it's not even joined-up-writing you will
    manage ok.
    Chip can / will defend himself, but for the record I've just found
    dozens of posts from himself / myself going back over a year on this
    subject of unlocked XP-M's
    The original object of my pilgrimage was to moderate your indulgent
    exercise in extreme prejudice and deep rooted dislike of anything not
    DFi. Normally of course I don't fight any man who has no weapons, but
    in defense of a self declared ' newbie ' I made an exception in your
    case.
    Your post to the O/P had a high degree of uselessness and your
    subsequent missive to myself equally so. I should encourage you to
    get in touch with your own arrogance and get your emotional nudity
    covered up.

    No more from me, try [ the above para ] hard to factual, do a little
    research, and be nice to the community - it's a wonderful place

    BoroLad

    borolad, Nov 6, 2004
  20. lonesw0rdsman

    borolad Guest

    Your welcome lonesw0rdsman, glad to help, hope you found the info
    helpful.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Nov 6, 2004