    2.8GHz system running the same OS. The old one has 2GB Ram and a 500GB disk that is 90% empty.

    Is this slowness to be expected for some reason? Any way to speed it up?
    Thanks.

    cew, May 19, 2012

  2. cew

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 18/05/2012 7:45 PM, cew wrote:
    > I have a DH57dd, core i3 system running Wxp. It has 4GB RAM and a 1TB
    > disk that is more than 95% empty. It takes at least 50% longer to boot
    > and to wake from S3 standby than my old 865PERL, P4 2.8GHz system
    > running the same OS. The old one has 2GB Ram and a 500GB disk that is
    > 90% empty.
    >
    > Is this slowness to be expected for some reason? Any way to speed it up?
    > Thanks.

    Did you install the Windows XP from scratch on the new machine, or did
    you copy it over from the old machine? In either case, run the BootVis
    program to speed up its boot times.

    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/step-by-step-use-bootvis-to-improve-xp-boot-performance/5034622

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 19, 2012

  3. cew

    cew Guest

    On 5/19/2012 7:09 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > On 18/05/2012 7:45 PM, cew wrote:
    >> I have a DH57dd, core i3 system running Wxp. It has 4GB RAM and a 1TB
    >> disk that is more than 95% empty. It takes at least 50% longer to boot
    >> and to wake from S3 standby than my old 865PERL, P4 2.8GHz system
    >> running the same OS. The old one has 2GB Ram and a 500GB disk that is
    >> 90% empty.
    >>
    >> Is this slowness to be expected for some reason? Any way to speed it up?
    >> Thanks.

    > Did you install the Windows XP from scratch on the new machine, or did you copy it over from the old
    > machine? In either case, run the BootVis program to speed up its boot times.
    >
    > http://www.techrepublic.com/article/step-by-step-use-bootvis-to-improve-xp-boot-performance/5034622
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    New install from install disk, plus SP3. Thanks for the link!

    cew, May 20, 2012