DHCP Client: DNS servers not showing up but working

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    On Tiger 10.4.11, if I set the Network to use DHCP to set its
    parameters, it gets them from a VMS server.

    In the systems preference panel:

    It gets the IP, Subnet mask, and default router, but does not fill out
    the box with the DNS server (I only supply one at this point in time).

    However, the Mac functions, and if I use NSLOOKUP on the command line,
    it does show the right server being used.

    Is it normal that the DHCP response does not populate the DNS box in the
    system preferences/network panel ?

    (I had many problems with the VMS server and finally twidled some bits
    to make it work, and I am wondering if I might need to twidle some
    additional bits to get the Mac to not only receive the DNS (which it
    does), but also display it.)

    JF Mezei, Mar 13, 2008

  2. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    What's important is what gets written to /etc/resolv.conf.

    Warren Oates, Mar 13, 2008

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    I've just verified that /etc/resolv.conf does get updated with new
    server info. I even put in 2 DNS servers in the DHCP config and both
    were written to /etc/resolv.conf

    What I suspect is that the Mac may be sensitive to the order n which the
    parameters are being passed in the DHCP response and the GUI side may
    not treat the DNS info even though the software behind the scenes does.

    But if others are seeing that GUI box get populated with DNS server
    information, I will blame the VMS DHCP server. But since it works, I can
    live with it until I move the DHCP server to a second mac later on.

    JF Mezei, Mar 14, 2008