diagnostic leds say: cpu failure, but...

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Max M., Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Max M.

    Max M. Guest

    Hello,

    Some time ago I changed the cpu on my MSI MS6330 v.5.0 mainboard and
    at the same time changed to another cooler. From Athlon 1200 to Athlon
    1800+. After that, when starting up, I receive from the diagnostic
    leds the message 4xred which means cpu failure. I changed back to the
    1200 with no result and then changed also back to the old cooler with
    no result.

    Settings were in both cases those of the 1200 so very conservative
    settings for the 1800+.

    Now when I start up all the fans start spinning and so does the
    harddisk, only I get 4xred and no image on the screen.

    I know that the screwdriver made a false move and touched the mobo
    while when I fastened the cooler for the first time. So I suppose the
    mobo is defect but what puzzles me is that the leds say there is a cpu
    failure.

    Any idea here?

    Thanks in advance,

    Max M.

    Max M., Oct 1, 2003

  2. Max M.

    mike Guest

    The same thing happened to me. I upgraded from a Duron 800 to an Athlon
    1.4GHz. My problem was that, like an idiot, I forgot to connect the power to
    my CPU fan. It spared the CPU, but killed the motherboard. My diagnostic
    LEDs shown bad CPU in my case also. The power was on less than two seconds.
    So, maybe you made some kind of trace on your board with the screwdriver or
    your heatsink might not have been set properly. Either way, I think it's
    your board. I just took mine back to CompUSA for exchange. (didn't tell them
    I did it, of course).

    mike, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Max M.

    rstlne Guest

    if the cpu is good then the motherboard power supply (the one that's
    actually built into the motherboard) has gone..
    just feel the cpu and see if it's getting warm.. a faulty cpu will usually
    get warm (not every time).. but I would put it down to the dc/dc regulator
    (or the fets it controls) being kaput..

    rstlne, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Max M.

    Max M. Guest

    Hello Mike,

    Oh, that's a pity.
    That's the only explanation I have to offer...
    Thank you for your reaction.
    Max M.
    ---------------------------------------

    Max M., Oct 1, 2003
  5. Max M.

    Max M. Guest

    Hello,

    Ah, so nothing to try out anymore if you're right...
    Excuse me, but a functioning cpu does NOT get warm?
    Seems the most probable conclusion indeed.

    Thanks for reacting!
    Max M.

    Max M., Oct 1, 2003
  6. Max M.

    rstlne Guest

    Excuse me, but a functioning cpu does NOT get warm?

    I have 2 Athlons that do

    rstlne, Oct 1, 2003