    Please can anyone suggest what I should do?

    Regards,

    David Russell

    David, Sep 29, 2004

  2. David

    kony Guest

    - Uninstall/reinstall modem driver
    - New modem driver
    - New modem

    kony, Sep 29, 2004

  3. David

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Sep 30, 2004
  4. David

    yak Guest

    I have a us robotics that will choke at times... If the modem has a very
    convoluded driver setup (separate programs need to run at startup, etc.)
    those can fail and leave it without anything to talk to.

    www.newegg.com I just bought an ambient chipset hardware modem for 13
    bucks shipped.

    yak, Sep 30, 2004
  5. David

    Zotin Khuma Guest

    To expand a bit on Kony's reply -

    Check your System Properties and see if there's more than one modem
    installed. If so, this can sometimes cause dialling problems. Yell if
    you need help doing that.

    Zotin Khuma, Sep 30, 2004
  6. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sometimes a rural line can be a bit crackly too and fool the modem into
    thinking the line is in use. A different modem will often fix it.

    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2004
  7. David

    Kevin Guest

    I agree with someone else about the quality of rural lines. I
    experience problems with my dial-up all the time. I thought it was
    the modem, but after replacement I was still experiencing problems. I
    am now at school where I have hi-speed access, so I don't use my home
    internet much.

    Kevin, Oct 4, 2004
  8. David

    Jim Phelps Guest

    Hi David, I'm not going to take the time to read all of your responses
    to this question, but remember that Abe Lincoln said "Beleive only
    half of what you see and nothing of what you hear". I hate Win Modems,
    but they have the ability to drop the line at the end of a session.
    Research your modem book and you will find a command "ATH". It's
    purpose is to drop the line (hang up). Your modem may not be using
    that command. Try uninstalling the modem and reinstalling it. It may
    not have been set up correctly the first time. You may have to check
    the maker's site for an uninstaller or it may be on the installation
    disk. Luck Jim

    Jim Phelps, Oct 13, 2004
  9. what modem is it?
    Alex

    alexander.voytov, Dec 11, 2004
  10. David

    CBFalconer Guest

    Mine is a US Robotics V90 FaxModem, external. Why do you ask?

    CBFalconer, Dec 12, 2004
  11. David

    rpalle Guest

    rpalle, Dec 22, 2004