Diamond AGP on XPS R400?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by erslah, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. erslah

    erslah Guest

    Greetings all,

    I'm considering buying a Dell 1905FP monitor, and I'd like to get a
    card with DVI so I can take advantage of the digital capability of the
    monitor without going through an analog conversion.

    I'm not a gamer, and while I do some graphics work, mostly the monitor
    would be for word processing and coding. I just want a basic card, and
    since it appears that all the PCI cards on the Dell Accessories page
    only have analog outputs, I guess I'm looking at AGP cards.

    However, the cheapest ones on the Dell site all say they require AGP
    2.0 slots, and this system only has a 1.0 slot. The Diamond website
    says very clearly that the Stealth S85 and S80, for example, are not
    for use in 1.0 slots. But I've seen folks say on the Dell support
    forum that most 2.0 cards will work fine in my system.

    Any idea whether those cards will work in my system? And if they will,
    is there any reason for me not to get the slightly cheaper S85, bearing
    in mind that I'm not a gamer?

    Thanks very much in advance.

    Eric S.

    erslah, Sep 11, 2005

  2. erslah

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the Diamond cards are not for use in AGP 1.0 slots, then take their word for
    it and do not buy one. AGP cards come in essentially 3 flavors:

    1. original AGP 1.0 (3.3v)
    2. AGP 2.0 with backward compatibility to AGP 1.0, i.e. dual voltage
    3. AGP 2.0 only (1.5v, IIRC)

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 11, 2005

  3. erslah