Dictionary support for different languages is available.

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by BartDesc, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. BartDesc

    BartDesc Guest

    Hi,
    I found out about the following dictionary tool that supports different
    languages
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dntablet/html/usspdtirec.asp.
    The only problem is:
    1. the software has to be compiled. Does anyone now of a compiled version or
    has experience with it?
    2. Would words added to a language not supported by the recognizer be
    recognized. Using for example the Enlgish recognizer?
    Thanks for any kind replies.

    PS I do think is a bit silly of MS in complaining about the market
    penetration for tablet pc's but on the other hand delaying recognition of
    different languages.
    I'm not a programmer but for most western languages I guess the same
    recognizer could be used (I can see that Chinees would require a whole
    different recognizer but Danisch or Dutch?) and only a good dictionary should
    be provided. or at least MS should give the ability to load a dictionary for
    another language.

    I'm working with Windows Tablet PC 2005

    BartDesc, Oct 13, 2004

  2. It's not intentionally delaying - it's a matter of developing
    recognition software for each language. Handwriting styles and text
    conventions differ sufficiently from language to language that you can't
    just pop in a new dictionary and go. Incidentally, the same applies for
    parsing regular text with spelling and grammar-checkers.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Oct 13, 2004

  3. BartDesc

    Chris H. Guest

    You might want to check out Tablet PC MVP Fritz Switzer's abletFactory:
    www.abletfactory.com where he has numerous special interest dictionaries,
    dictionary management tools and some very good, all-round information.

    Chris H., Oct 13, 2004
  4. Bart,

    You may want to explore the Visual Studio Try It offering on the Microsoft
    site. I'm not sure what all of the EULA requirements are, but it may let
    you compile and try the code included in your original post. The program
    you linked is an excellent way to explore changes in recognition processes
    in a multi-language environment. The text provides a good overview of some
    of the issues as well.

    In addition, as Chris mentioned, with the release of the new Reco Pack,
    additional features may be of help in your scenario.

    Our demo program, abletRecoDemo, available as a free download and including
    Dutch words may help you in deciding what areas of improvement are
    available. The program can be downloaded from the site in my signature.

    Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any additional product specific
    questions.

    Hope this helps,

    Fritz

    Fritz Switzer, Oct 13, 2004