    had incredibly coincidental bad luck ?

    Aside from the keyboards, they seem decent enough machines.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Aug 5, 2004

  2. i don't think that these models have a particularly problematic keyboard.
    there were older models that did have issues but not these. laptop
    keyboards are thin and light and under normal to heavy use simply wear out
    over time. you are talking about 4 year old keyboards. replacements are
    cheap, just be sure to get the appropriate one (with or without the pointing
    stick). easy to install too. makes the whole computer look and feel close
    to brand new again. support.dell.com has installation instructions for your
    particular model. look at the service manuals.

    Christopher Muto, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Fred Mau

    M Guest

    The CPx typical keyboard problem is that the "8ik," keys get erratic or
    won't work at all. Dell replace my m'board a couple times under the 3 year
    warranty (CPxJ 750), and finally the keyboard. Now out of warranty, it
    started again. I followed the installations below (bottom) removing,
    cleaning and reseating the connector and all has been serene for about 6
    months. Machine is used daily.

    See the Dell forum at
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_input&message.id=14096

    and for the "8ik," issue specifically:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_input&message.id=5671

    Good luck!

    M, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Fred Mau

    S.Lewis Guest

    Granted, I only have one of the machines (CPxJ 650GT), and it's worked
    flawlessly to this day. It was a refurb I bought second hand at auction....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 6, 2004