    Who can tell me in a short post what I got - is it better? Worse? Apples
    and oranges?

    tia

    Hugh Jass, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Hugh Jass

    Darkfalz Guest

    If that's the case then you got a more expensive board as a result.
    now.

    Check the ASUS website. Generally P4C has "official" PAT while the P4P still
    supports it unofficially on ASUS boards at least.
    P4C800 has Promise RAID, P4P800 (Deluxe) has VIA RAID. To be honest I prefer
    the VIA RAID, as you can use it as a standard ATA133 controller.
    P4C also has a Intel Gigabit Lan which is better than the 3Com Gigabit Lan
    (which is PCI based rather than CSA).

    Apart from that, not really many differences. About equal performance and
    features.

    Darkfalz, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Hugh Jass

    Guardian Guest

    You can do this on the P4C800-E Deluxe Promise RAID

    Guardian, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Hugh Jass

    Darkfalz Guest

    Someone told me you couldn't, but I'll take your word for it. People also
    say the VIA controller is shit and uses up a ton of CPU, but that was
    bullshit too.

    Darkfalz, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Hugh Jass

    Hugh Jass Guest

    My old board was not deluxe or any other modifying letter or suffix, just
    P4P800. Boy that ASUS website is a classic design with everything you need
    but the most frustrating navigation ever. I only go there from time to
    time (in need of help) but I always fall into the download->help that
    defines what downloading is. I finally guessed the ftp directory and
    downloaded the Chinese version of the Manual (and then found the English.)

    The plate that goes on the back board connections (from my old board) is
    wrong at the USB, I see that difference, 8 USB2 connectors.

    thx for the info

    Hugh Jass, Mar 4, 2004
  6. According to the manual you can use the Promise RAID controller as a regular
    ATA133 controller, just not for ATAPI devices. I think that this is pretty
    much true for the majority of RAID solutions isn't it?

    The Dovel King, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Hugh Jass

    DaveW Guest

    The P4C800 is a newer, faster, more stable motherboard that uses the Intel
    875 chipset. The P4P800 used the Intel 865 chipset.

    DaveW, Mar 5, 2004
  8. Hugh Jass

    Darkfalz Guest

    Probably, this is the first one I've owned.

    Darkfalz, Mar 5, 2004
  9. Hugh Jass

    Darkfalz Guest

    The P4P800 is the most stable board I have ever used. I don't see how
    another board can be "more stable".

    Darkfalz, Mar 5, 2004
  10. The 875 has PAT, the P4P has 865PE (IIRC) which has a 'unofficial'
    version of PAT, but its not officially supported. I think the only
    reason Intel would have had with *not* enabling it, was that it either
    didnt co-exist with other parts of the chipset well, or caused stability
    problems in 1/10000 cases or something, they had to have a reason, and
    'becuase we want you to buy the higher version' reeks too much of MS
    style pricing.

    Philip Callan, Mar 5, 2004
  11. Hugh Jass

    Hugh Jass Guest

    I have (had, actually) two P4P800 and they work great. The one just
    stopped working and was replaced. The other had one problem (apparently)
    when I overclocked it a little, it began slowly corrupting the OS and I
    finally had to reinstall Windows XP Pro. I think I'll stick with 2.4ghz
    for a while...

    Hugh Jass, Mar 5, 2004
  12. Hugh Jass

    Hugh Jass Guest

    Ok, I can't figure out what PAT is...
    Last (I think) stupid question, this board seems to be a P4C800. Is there
    some obvious general thing added by deluxe and what's the 'E' in the
    others?

    I'm guessing from way back when I bought the P4P that "deluxe" has onboard
    graphics or improved audio or something? I see there is a firewire
    connector which I don't think I had on the P4P.

    Hugh Jass, Mar 5, 2004
  13. I just bought a P4P800. It's a nice MB so far...
    I have a P4P800 (non deluxe) and I have Via Raid. Then again, this is
    a Japan market MB, all bets are off. I don't use Raid, didn't buy this
    machine for that. I don't use Sata either. Didn't get Firewire on this
    MB, don't need it. But I love the 8 USB ports, was running short with
    only 6 on my 8SQ800.
    Hmm, didn't know about that one, thought I finally got a good NIC :)

    Best thing about my P4P800 is that it runs my crappy cheapo memory
    just fine at the default 400 DDR. My old MB would not had to go down
    to 333. In fact this MB is running everything more pumped up. It's
    very stable.

    Jim Davis Nature Photography, Mar 5, 2004
  14. ]With the P4P800 you need to buy a USB slot adaptor with 2 cables to
    the MB to setup the other 4 USB ports. Luckily again, my old broken
    Gigabyte MB was fully equipped and came with those so I got 8
    USBports, ya!
    I just tested the speed from my CF card reader to HD, 90 megs in about
    9 secs. Fantastic!

    Jim Davis Nature Photography, Mar 5, 2004