Difference between 9200 and non-Pro 9600?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Don Enderton, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Don Enderton

    Don Enderton Guest

    Other than the DVI out, what else does the 9600 (not the 9600 Pro) offer
    that the 9200 does not have?

    I've tried to research this myself, but the specs at the ATI site are not
    exactly user friendly to a non-technical person.

    I just installed a 9200 and am disappointed that text images (on my old Sony
    Trinitron monitor) are not as distinct or sharp as they were when using the
    nVidia card I just replaced, at the same resolution and the same refresh
    rate.

    So I am wondering if upgrading to a 9600 non-Pro would produce clearer,
    sharper text images.

    They are *very slightly* blurry and nobody would notice who hadn't been
    using the other card first.

    The image degradation reminds my of what I once saw with the Hollywood plus
    DVD card when using the loopback connector (anyone here remember that?), but
    not nearly as severe.

    Don Enderton, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Don Enderton

    El Senor Guest

    Which 9200 card was it and what display resolution are you using?
    Built-by-ATI cards and Sapphire cards generally provide very high quality
    2D output. With other 3rd party manufacturers it's just hit and miss.

    -Mike

    El Senor, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Don Enderton

    Tod Guest

    9200 has the same GPU as the 9000,
    which is a slightly slimmed down GPU version of the 8500,8500LE and 9100.
    The 9200 will work at AGP 8X, with a motherboard that supports AGP 8X
    The 9200 is Direct X 8.1
    the 9600 is Direct X 9.0
    The 9600 is a newer chip design over the 9200.

    Tod, Oct 3, 2003