    you could get the X800 instead

    Am I missing something to this off-balanced pricing ? What could the 9800xt
    offer to make this big gap in price ?

    Brad, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Brad

    Conor Guest

    They get a smaller amount on a silicon wafer that'll work reliably at
    those speeds on the production runs so its a cost recouping exercise.

    Conor, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Brad

    Sean Guest

    256 megs of onboard ram, and bragging rights. The 9800XT is mostly a joke
    when viewing it on a price/performance ratio.

    Sean, Nov 17, 2004
  4. The XT runs at slightly higher speeds than the Pro (core 412 vs. 378 MHz,
    memory 365 vs. 338 MHz) and it also appears to handle some instructions
    a little more efficiently. In addition the PCB's for the XT contain an
    additional chip that allows you to monitor the temperature of the core.

    I have a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro which I've soft-modded into an XT as
    is explained on this website:

    <http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=0>

    Results with 3DMark03:

    Pro BIOS @ Pro speeds (378/338): 5977
    Pro BIOS @ XT speeds (412/365): 6422
    Pro BIOS @ Max speeds (454/380): 6764

    XT BIOS @ XT speeds (412/365): 6699
    XT BIOS @ Max speeds (454/380): 7227

    Kind regards,
    Danny Sanders www
    (o o)
    | This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons. |

    Danny Sanders, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Brad

    Pete D Guest

    All about catching the weenies that are stupid, hey they are in the business
    of making money.

    Pete D, Nov 17, 2004