Difference between A7N8X Deluxe & A7N8X-E Deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jeffrey Schwartz, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. I'm looking to get one of these boards this weekend but I'm trying to
    figure out the difference between the two. From what I can see the -E
    has the Wi-Fi slot and the other doesn't. The only thing else I
    noticed was the chip for the audio & LAN adapters are a little
    difference. I couldn't tell if they were just worded differently of
    there is a performance difference.

    The Wi-Fi is not impotent as the computer sits under the router. I'm
    planning to get one of the 400 FSB CPU's for the system.

    My only other question is if there are only 3 banks for the DDR memory
    and I place 2 sticks of Duel-Channel memory is there any single sticks
    of Duel-Channel memory for the last slot?

    Thanks

    Jeff

    p.s. Could we leave out the discussions concerning what's better, M$
    or open source (free) software, leaving computer/monitor on or turning
    them off when not in use for long periods of time, hardware vs
    software firewall's, electricity flowing from positive to negative or
    from negative to positive, and finally is it electron flow or hole
    flow. I think I cover most of the discussions that happen in the
    posts. ;-)

    Jeffrey Schwartz, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Nero Guest

    There is no such thing as Dual channel memory(ram)
    You cannot use/buy dual channel ram/memory if it does not exist.
    Dual channel mode on motherboards yes.
    There are two and not three channels, slot 1 and 2 are one channel, slot 3
    the other.
    Ram in 1 and 3 =dual channel mode
    Ram in 2 and 3 =dual channel mode
    Ram in 1 and 2 = single channel mode
    Ram in 1, 2, and 3 can be dual channel mode.
    2 sticks of same make and speed and size.

    Nero, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Gordon Scott Guest

    the ram doesnt have to be same make speed or size with nforce2 chipset

    Gordon Scott, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Walt Guest

    Walt, Jun 17, 2004
  5. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Nero Guest

    Well that's just rip offs as there is NO such thing as dual channel
    ram...............
    A stick of ram is a stick of ram..........
    You can't have dual channel on it....
    Dual channel is a mode, not a physical thing like a stick of
    ram................

    "Memory Size 2 x 256MB

    Memory Speed 333MHz PC2700

    Memory CAS Latency 2-2-2-5-T1

    Memory Type Dual Channel DDR......................BULL!!

    Pins 184

    Nero, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Nero Guest

    "the ram doesnt have to be same make speed or size with nforce2 chipset"
    ?????????????????????????
    Ok so you try putting 1 stick of PC2700 with one of PC3200 and see it run as
    PC3200............
    it will run at the lower speed(PC2700)

    Nero, Jun 17, 2004
  7. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Dirk Lemaire Guest

    Nero schreef:
    Traditional platforms carry data through single-channel architecture,
    which gathers information to be collectively sent to the CPU. However,
    such architecture, which handles such large amounts of data, will
    inevitably lead to delays. Instead, the dual channel architecture
    deploys a two-way transmission path in which a pair of DDR 400
    dual-channel modules inserted into the motherboard DIMM slot is able to
    double the transfer bandwidth from 3.2GB/s to 6.4GB/s.
    The transmission of data between the module and the frontside bus of a
    Pentium 4 CPU at a rate of 800 MHz can effectively resolve all memory
    issues.
    The DDR 400 dual-channel module runs data 1.67 times faster than the DDR
    400 single- channel model and 2.13 times faster than DDR 333.

    Dirk Lemaire, Jun 17, 2004
  8. So it seems like marketing is just using confusing terms like in the
    A7N8X manual where it mentions support for Duel-Channel DDR400
    support. Like one of the following posters mention in the adds from
    newegg & tiger direct.

    It also has nothing to do with the 'double data rate' term in DDR400
    memory.

    Thanks

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Schwartz, Jun 17, 2004
  9. I guess just to make it more confusing is things like this
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/Performance where whey
    refer to Dual Channel DDR memory.

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Schwartz, Jun 17, 2004
  10. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Dirk Lemaire Guest

    Jeffrey Schwartz schreef:
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_DDR_PC-4400_Dual_Channel:

    "Every Dual Channel Kit from OCZ is hand tested as a matched pair across
    a wide variety of motherboards to ensure flawless performance on most
    motherboards."

    Only this part is important to know why it is a dual channel kit!

    Dirk Lemaire, Jun 17, 2004
  11. By the time the marketing people get done doubling the data rate and
    dual-channeling, we'll have 10Ghz systems clocked at 10Mhz.

    Shawn Barnhart, Jun 17, 2004
  12. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Nero Guest

    Taken from one of many sites(forums)
    of which a lot of people say the same thing regarding so called "dual
    channel ram/memory" **
    ** there is no such thing as dual channel ram/memory.
    Why is it that anyone wth any sense buys a pair and not so called dual
    channel..........???
    I use a pair of 512 from who ever and that is not "dual" channel ram, it is
    just ram.

    22-05-2004, 06:18 PM #2
    muckshifter
    Insane OAP & Grumpy

    First, there is no such thing as "dual channel memory", its a sales ploy
    meaning you have a 'matched pair' of ram. However, some motherboards can use
    two sticks of ram at the same time, hence dual channel.

    Nero, Jun 17, 2004
  13. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Nero Guest

    From yet again another site..................................
    Backing up what is said loads of places that there is NO dual channel ram.

    "
    The terminology "Dual-Channel DDR" is being misused by some in the Memory
    industry, which can mislead the Consumer. The fact is there's no such thing
    as Dual-Channel DDR Memory. There are, however, Dual-Channel Platforms.
    [Memory Controller]

    When properly used, the term "Dual Channel" refers to the DDR chipset on
    certain Motherboards designed with Two Memory Channels instead of One. The
    Two Channels handle Memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the
    theoretical Bandwidth of the Two Modules, thus reducing System Latencies,
    the Timing Delays that inherently occur with One Memory Module.

    For example, One Controller reads and writes data while the Second
    Controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and
    setup delays that occur before One Memory Module can begin the read/write
    process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners.

    The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares
    to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay.
    While performance gains from Dual-Channel Chipsets aren't huge, they can
    increase Bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the
    performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.

    So the next time you come across a product that's touted and sold as
    Dual-Channel DDR, know this: It's simply two DDR Memory Modules, packaged
    and marketed as a specialty product or a must-have "kit."

    If indeed you have a Dual-Channel Platform and you want to take advantage of
    the performance gain it offers, our advice is to opt for high quality and
    service over expensive packaging, and simply purchase your DDR Memory in
    Pairs. However, be very careful to order Two Modules with the exact same
    Specifications; the Modules must be identical to each other to perform
    correctly." Thank you Crucial for that clarification.

    So this Dual Channel terminology thing started with RAMBUS Memory and now
    Dual Channel Memory Interleaving from Intel has caught on with DDR Memory.
    Dual Channel Memory Interleaving was the term Intel used during our Intel
    Technical Solutions Training Summer 2003 in Houston, TX."

    Enough said I would think.

    Nero, Jun 17, 2004
  14. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Walt Guest

    So, you are claiming if someone purchases "dual channel" memory,
    the dual channel memory feature in their PC will _not_ work with
    it installed?

    Walt, Jun 17, 2004
  15. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Walt Guest

    One needs TWO sticks to support dual channel memory.

    Very conveniently, stores are packing two sticks together in
    one package, and very correctly noting that buying just this
    one package from them, will support "dual channel memory" on
    an appropriate MB. Nothing else, memory wise, is needed,
    beyond just that one item.

    It is like claiming that "value meals" don't exist because
    you know how to buy a burger, fries, and soda separately.

    "Dual channel memory" packages do exist, and they are for
    ease-of-purchase by the general (non-tech) customer.

    In other words, all they need to know, is that they want
    512M total memory and have it support Dual Channel. They
    just have to buy a single package labeled "512M Dual Channel
    Memory" and install it in their PC. They really don't care
    that what they got, is really just two 256K memory sticks.

    Walt, Jun 17, 2004
  16. Jeffrey Schwartz

    rstlne Guest

    You just confirm'd what he said
    thanks

    rstlne, Jun 17, 2004
  17. Jeffrey Schwartz

    rstlne Guest

    i think that he's overcomplicating a "sales" issue
    there is no "single hardware solution" that's sold as "dual channel ram"
    but at the same time he is being slightly ignorant to the fact that some ram
    is "in a matched pair" where it should work in dual mode..

    rstlne, Jun 17, 2004
  18. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Ben Pope Guest

    ....which caused a stir :p

    Basically, you can use mismatched DIMMs to get Dual* channel, but sometimes
    it's necessary to set the timings manually as the BIOS can get confused with
    the SPD timings.

    * it's "duAl", there's two, but they're not fighting, they're working in
    harmony :p

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 18, 2004
  19. Jeffrey Schwartz

    Gordon Scott Guest

    the ram will run dual channel at the lowest common denominator, so the
    ram will run at pc2700 speed in dual channel mode in your example.

    Gordon

    Gordon Scott, Jun 18, 2004