    my IBM Thinkpad? The reason why I ask is that I have an AC adapter
    connected to my Thinkpad. This works except the battery is not
    charging.

    Wes, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Wes

    Andrew Guest

    : What is the difference between an AC adapter and a battery charger for
    : my IBM Thinkpad? The reason why I ask is that I have an AC adapter
    : connected to my Thinkpad. This works except the battery is not
    : charging.

    The charger is built-in to the computer. You could get an off-board
    battery charger to charge your main battery or a spare while you
    work. Chargers usually don't charge very quickly while you are using
    the laptop on AC power.

    Your battery may be toast - how old is it?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Dec 19, 2004

  3. The charging circuit is in the laptop. The AC supply in MOST laptops
    simply supplies some DC voltage to the laptop. The laptop uses this in
    a variety of ways, one of which (but only one) is to charge the battery.
    The AC supply is not a battery charger, but really a DC power supply.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 21, 2004