    scans the whole disk and fixes, as best it can, all permissions.

    B) There is a difference; as a root user it will scan disk areas you don't
    have access to even as an admin.

    Tim Murray, Jan 29, 2004

  2. That would depend on whether the installer in question left a receipt
    that tells Repair Permissions what the permissions should be. There's
    no reason that programs installed by other installers wouldn't leave a
    receipt, and in fact right now I have receipts from several third-party
    apps in /Library/Receipts.

    Jerry Kindall, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Tim Murray

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Permissions can only be "repaired" if there is some indication as to
    what they should be. Applications that are installed with the Apple
    installer leave the appropriate clues in the receipts file for the
    application and only those will be repaired by Disk Utility.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Tim Murray

    Tom Stiller Guest

    If history is any indication...