Difference between graphics controller driver and Nvidia TNT driver?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by psongman, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. psongman

    psongman Guest

    HI, I think I might have found a reason why I am having trouble
    watching videos on my Gateway. What is the difference between those
    two drivers mentioned in the title?

    On the Gateway site, it says there is a driver
    NVidia Graphics Controller driver, version 5.3.2
    that is available for download and update. What I am not understanding
    is, what are the versions, for example 44.03 for the graphics card?
    They sound like two independent drivers to me.

    The reason I am asking is I can't control the brightness, contrast,
    gamma, etc. even in the Nvidia Control Panel or with Rivatuner....so I
    must be needing some other connections. OK< well, get back when you
    can and I will keep attempting to get my Nvidia Riva TNT card to work
    properly,

    TIA, appreciate it, psongman

    psongman, Sep 21, 2007

  2. * psongman:
    Yes. "graphics controller driver" doesn't say *which* graphics
    controller it is for. "Nvidia TNT driver" tells us that it's for the
    RivaTNT GPU.
    The "NVidia Graphics Controller driver" on the Gateway site is probably
    for a gfx card that was sold by Gateway. I don't know if that's a
    RivaTNT, a Riva128 or a Geforce. Basically, the best way usually are
    drivers from Nvidia.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 21, 2007

  3. psongman

    First of One Guest

    So, all you want to do is to control the brightness and contrast of the
    videos? What media player app are you using? Windows Media Player? PowerDVD?
    VideoLAN? Be sure to set the app to use overlay rendering.

    First of One, Sep 22, 2007
  4. psongman

    psongman Guest

    Hi, yeah, I would say to use overlay rendering but I can't either find
    it or if I do, get it to work. There must be something with this card
    that is not allowing me to do this. If you know which one of those
    video players will allow this, please direct me, and I will just try
    and use that one, thanks for assisting, psongman

    psongman, Sep 23, 2007
  5. psongman

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Sep 24, 2007