    The latter has a MUCH better layout in my opinion- it's almost impossible to
    fit DDR memory with the way the cooler overhangs the RAM slots on K7S5As
    I've tried.

    Li'l ol' me, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Li'l ol' me

    Mr. Slow Guest

    The K7AMA has an ALI chipset, the K7S5A a SIS.

    The K7S5A has fewer jumpers and is easier to set up.

    Both have onboard sound and LAN.

    I have both! I like both!

    Mr. Slow, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Li'l ol' me

    JT Guest

    Difference in chipset and early price. ALI chipsets haven't been especially
    popular or stable lately, where the SIS chipsets are no frills but cheap,
    reasonably fast, and for the most part stable.

    What problems are you having mounting a fan on the K7S5A? I have done about
    100 of them (and a store I deal with has done several hundred.) The AMD
    boxed fans go on no problems, as do fans from coolermaster, global win,
    thermaltake, and a couple of no names don't get close to the ram. It is
    much easier to install the fan out of the case, and with no ram in the
    board, but that is not unusual. What fan are you trying to mount.

    JT

    JT, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Li'l ol' me

    Li'l ol' me Guest

    The fan is a coolermaster HAC-V81. Great cooler, but nosiy. It fits easy
    by itself, but the DDR slots are right below the clip and I have to bend the
    clip upwards to fit the RAM in either slot. If I fit the RAM first, it's
    almost impossible to push the clip down and hook it.

    No such problems with K7AMA.

    Li'l ol' me, Sep 23, 2003