Difference between P4C800 Deluxe & P4C800 E-Deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Guest, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I just bought a P4C800 Deluxe from a local retailer. Initially I asked for
    a P4C800 E Deluxe (only because I read a review about it). The retailer did
    not have any in stock but told me that there was no perceivable difference
    between the 'E' version and the standard 'Deluxe' model.

    When I got home I checked the Asus web site and found it hard to tell the
    differences, however I noted that the standard deluxe board has a 3Com LAN
    port where the 'E' version of the board has an Intel LAN port. I also noted
    that the P4C800 E Deluxe has an ICH5R chipset whereas the standard board has
    only a ICH5 chipset.

    The ICH5R chipset is some sort of enhancement of SATA RAID performance.

    I do intend to eventually have a RAID setup. Is this a real performance
    hit if I keep the standard Asus P4C800 Deluxe board???

    Anyone know of any other differences between these boards? Also, when did
    the 'E' version become available? It appears to be a more recent board.

    Thanks,

    Shane

    Guest, Feb 21, 2004

    no spam wrote:

    | Hello,
    |
    | I just bought a P4C800 Deluxe from a local retailer. Initially I
    asked for
    | a P4C800 E Deluxe (only because I read a review about it). The
    retailer did
    | not have any in stock but told me that there was no perceivable difference
    | between the 'E' version and the standard 'Deluxe' model.

    Then your retailer is an idiot, or intentionally decieved you, which may
    give you reason to complain under your local fair trade practices act.

    | When I got home I checked the Asus web site and found it hard to tell the
    | differences, however I noted that the standard deluxe board has a 3Com LAN
    | port where the 'E' version of the board has an Intel LAN port.

    The original design with the 3com card neglected one of the advantages
    Intel built into the I875P chipset, which was CSA, which allows the
    onboard network card to NOT be lagging the south/northbridge
    communication, as it has its own little bridge in the middle almost.
    not the most technical but Im no engineer, so dont expect a lot :)

    | I also noted
    | that the P4C800 E Deluxe has an ICH5R chipset whereas the standard
    board has
    | only a ICH5 chipset.

    Yes, the P4C800 had the 3 IDE ports, and 2 SATA ports that could be used
    in a RAID (I think its a VIA chipset for the SATA, and the promise one
    for IDE if I recall correctly)

    | The ICH5R chipset is some sort of enhancement of SATA RAID performance.

    Yes, the ICH5R is a enhancement, as it gives you 2 more SATA ports that
    can either be used as RAID(intel) or standalone, as well as 2 RAID-only
    SATA ports (via Promise)

    | I do intend to eventually have a RAID setup. Is this a real performance
    | hit if I keep the standard Asus P4C800 Deluxe board???

    If your not currently using RAID, and it is a 'down the line' there isnt
    any HUGE differences in speed I dont believe, I havent seen benchmarks
    comparing all the alternatives (VIA/Intel/Promise)

    | Anyone know of any other differences between these boards? Also,
    when did
    | the 'E' version become available? It appears to be a more recent board.

    Not sure as to when it was released, but it is a more recent board.

    hth
    Philip

    Philip Callan, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Philip. I have returned the P4C800 Deluxe and swapped it for an 'E'
    version. The retail guy was most apologetic!

    Shane

    Guest, Feb 22, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 22, 2004