    What is the difference between SMP and non-SMP systems ?
    What does the word 'symmetric' in "symmetric multi processor" (SMP)
    actually signify ?

    suresh, Sep 14, 2006

  2. suresh

    mc Guest

    Matched CPUs.

    mc, Sep 14, 2006

  3. In SMP, volatile memory latency and control is assumed to be same for
    each processor to each memory module on the system leading to simpler
    board and system design

    a popular non-SMP is NUMA ( Non Uniform Memory Access ) which allows
    the CPU on the same system board to have more control over the nearby
    memory relative to other CPUs on the other system boards of the system

    - Surinder

    surindersingh, Sep 14, 2006
  4. symmetrical setups allow the tasks to be distributed
    symmetrically, and each cpu can do the task of the other.
    Non-symmetrical setups usually have defied tasks for
    the cpus, eg one is the graphics engine and such.
    SMP setups can be scaled up.

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Sep 15, 2006