Difference between Ultra SPARC IIi (650 MHz) and IIi+ (650 MHZ)

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Matthias, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Matthias

    Matthias Guest

    Hi everyone,

    you might know, that the Ultra SPARC IIi 650 MHz CPU was the followup
    (or side-development) for the Ultra SPARC IIe CPU which was used i.e. in
    the AX1105 and the Netra X1

    This processor fits in a (PC) 370-socket.

    There also is a 650 MHz version, so called Ultra SPARC IIi (AFAIK).

    And there is a Ultra SPARC IIi+ 650 MHz.

    Is there someone out there who knows what the '+' sign ist standing for
    ? Ths sun pages are pretty quiet on that issue.

    Both 650 MHz CPUs have the same 2nd level cache size (512 k), so I
    assume it has something to do with maybe more internal things like
    pipelining or something.

    Thanks in advance for any information (which isn't substantial to me,
    it's just that I'd like to know)

    Matthias

    Matthias, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Matthias

    Elias Guest

    There is no difference. The only official marketing name is
    UltraSPARC IIi. At some point a few of the CPU's were labeled IIi+
    probably in order to differentiate them from the older UltraSPARC IIi
    CPU's used in systems like the Ultra 5 and Ultra 10, but that name was
    never productized.

    If you dig around enough the system handbook has a note to that effect.

    Elias

    Elias, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Matthias

    Matthias Guest

    Elias wrote:
    Thanks for the information. I really was browsing the manuals but,
    obviously, not enough.

    Great that there are people out there that help each other.

    Matthias

    Matthias, Jan 2, 2006